ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit visa for 70-year-old parents, no intention of immigrating

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kamoe
European Union

Visit visa for 70-year-old parents, no intention of immigrating

Post by kamoe » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:40 pm

My parents are a reasonably healthy couple in their 70s. They have had one 6-month UK visa, and one Schengen visa in the last 10 years, have valid American visas, and have never broke the terms of their stays. They are both retired and live a reasonably comfortable life in my home country, with no hardships.

I plan to apply for Settled Status and British Citizenship myself in 2021 (partner will be British shortly), and we would all like for them to be able to come and visit me whenever they want. None of us is planing for them to move to the UK permanently.

I was wondering if something like this presents a challenge, given my residence/future citizenship and their age. Would a case worker assume I want to bring them permanently? How easy would it be for them to obtain at least a 2-year visit visa? Could we try and get them a longer visa straight away?

Any recommendations, or any similar experiences would be very much appreciated!
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Visit visa for 70-year-old parents, no intention of immigrating

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:41 pm

UK authorities have high consideration of people with US visas. With a US visa, someone can even enter the UK visa free for 24 hours in order to transit. I think this disposition is valid through Heathrow only but it gives you an idea.

If someone is crazy about immigration, holding a valid US visa should be enough to go there and overstay rather than trying with the UK.

I think their chances are reasonably good. I for one managed to invite my mother. She is nearly 70, retired and didn't travel for the 10 years prior her application for a UK visa. It was granted quickly. They gave her 6 month / multiple entry and she came in twice with it (3 weeks at the beginning of the visa then 2 weeks towards the end).

I am not a believer in applying 2 years first time. I think 6 months is the best course of action especially that both of your parents are coming. Usually it's easier when one parent stays behind as when there is an immigration project, they both go together.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:26 am

Although you mentioned they previously had a 6 months UK visa, the best is to apply for a 6 months visa to start with again and build their travel history on it before applying for a 2 years visa.

With my own personal experience, it is always best to renew UK visit visa before current expiry. For example make a new application when the previous visa is valid for a few days to a month. That always give a good impression and reinforce the fact that if a person had to overstay, could easily fly on the previous valid visa.

Having said that, your immigration status, settled or British is less value for a visit visa for your parents. If they can demonstrate strong ties with their home country, property etc, family ties and sources of funds (savings etc) etc they rely on to live comfortably, I am sure they will not have any issues.

As @Zerubabel said, having a US/Canada valid visa is always a plus point as he rightly pointed out. I am not sure though how can one enter UK in transit on a US valid visa. Maybe not all nationalities then? For sure Pakistani Nationals can not do that or I am not aware of it.

I would also suggest to start with a 6 months visa and apply for a 2 years visa when you are 5 months through. You can always add a cover letter and explain the age of your parents, their need to travel frequently and the hassle they have to go through with all the paper work etc every time. I have always added a cover letter for my parent’s visit visas (they have developed a strong immigration history for a long time) and they both have
10 year UK visit visas now. I always help them to apply for a new visit visa before their previous visa is expired.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:28 am

Thanks both! Makes all the sense to start with 6 months, build up a travel history, and apply to renew, before any current visa expires.
Will plan to do that.

Cheers.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Bathra007
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Bathra007 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:55 pm

@kamoe
Did your parents made it to the UK ? or are you in process of applying

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:36 pm

Bathra007 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:55 pm
@kamoe
Did your parents made it to the UK ? or are you in process of applying
The plan is to facilitate their frequent visits to the UK, not to immigrate. We're talking about visit visas. In the current pandemic context, this means this is not a short-term plan for an actual trip in the foreseeable future. So no, we have not applied.

I am not intending to bring them to live with me in the UK. Therefore, I have no reason to make them travel anytime soon in the current climate. I prefer them to be safe and only come for a visit when the situation is stable and global tourism travel is allowed.