ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 form

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sinan87
United Kingdom

MN1 form

Post by Sinan87 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:45 pm

My child was born in the UK, birth Certificate shows (first + last name) then she was issued overseas passport and a BRP which showed (First + Middle+ Last name).

I tried to add the middle names to her Birth Certificate but was told that I would not be able to change it as child was more than 1 year old,

My Question is which name should I use for MN1 application ? Should I include change of name deed ?please advise

Many Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: MN1 form

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:58 pm

Do you have a legal deed poll for name change?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Sinan87
United Kingdom

Post by Sinan87 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:06 pm

No, But I believe that I can do one online.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:13 pm

You should mention the correct name in MN1 application as on the overseas passport and BRP.

Although the child does not need any overseas passport and BRP to be registered via MN1 (after any parent is settled as it is child’s entitlement) but note the British registration certificate will be issued as per the UK birth certificate name.

Also, while applying for a British Passport for the child, you will need child’s original registration certificate and original overseas passport as an evidence for HMPO. That is where things can get messy.

It is always best to add a legal deed poll for name change, mention the correct name in MN1 as per the overseas passport and BRP so the correct name is on the British registration certificate and eventually British Passport.

PS: Also add a cover letter with an explanation with the application.

The above is my understanding on the matter.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Sinan87
United Kingdom

Post by Sinan87 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:18 pm

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, actually this makes a lot of sense.

I was a bit confused as the first question on the MN1 form was to mention the name as per “Birth certificate “.so will attach a change of name deed.

Kind Regards