ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PLEASE HELP: Divorced and sponsoring UK visa for new wife

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

del_piero_3

PLEASE HELP: Divorced and sponsoring UK visa for new wife

Post by del_piero_3 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:49 pm

Hey guys,

I recently got married for the second time in Pakistan. My first marriage was also from Pakistan and she came to UK on spouse visa in 2006. However after a year we separated and I was advised by the solicitor that I can divorce her in Pakistan as I was going there for a break. I did notify the Home Office about our separation/divorce and had to sign a declaration letter to confirm this.

At the time the solicitor explained since my marriage took place in Pakistan and this is recognised in UK so therefore same principles are applied for a divorce. My marriage was not registered in this country. I have the divorce certificate from Pakistan (in Urdu and also in English).

My x-missus got the stay in this country, I believe through my child but not entirely sure how. As far as I know it certainly wasn’t through me. She has been in this country for two years now.

I want to call my new wife over, I have all the necessary documents ready. However today my wife went to embassy in Mirpur to have her paperwork checked, they were happy with everything except the divorce certificate which was issued in Pakistan over a year ago. The embassy advisor said we need to submit divorce certificate that is from County Court in UK. But I never got divorced in this country....after searching the internet even the quick divorce in UK takes about 6 months.

Does anyone have any knowledge in this matter, its actually scaring me big time because we are ready to submit our case....I would really appreciate any help on this matter.[/b]

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:00 am

You should have got divorced in the UK as both parties were resident in the UK. Your marriage was in PAK - fine UK accepts that. For the divorce to be in PAK non UK spouse has to be in PAK. You can not pick and choose to suit, easy to get married and divorced in PAK - then that is where both the parties should have been - in PAK.

No doubt non ex wife happy to stay in UK with the nice CSA system. You will find she used a good lawyer and ensured kid is UK cit and she is staying put to look after the kid. You might even have contributed to that by wanting access to the kid. Maybe not quite as disposable as you first thought.

Your new wife will not be coming to the UK until you have UK divorce papers as polygamous marriages are not recognised. Let us just hope wife number one does not put up a fight especially as you have a child. Could take years to sort out if she does not play along…

Me thinks wife number one is one smart cookie. On her lawyer is :lol: