ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadian wants to move to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nrose
Newly Registered

Canadian wants to move to Ireland

Post by nrose » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:28 pm

Hi all. Canadian here who's been lurking on this board for a while since starting to investigate the possibility of moving to Ireland. I've visited the country and really love the island, culture and people. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere on the Internet, it seems that the immigration system is in shambles, the weather sucks, the health care system is horrible... I also see that Ireland has extremely restrictive permit requirements (for all categories), and so my lowly administrative project coordination skills (higher ed. industry) will not land me one.

There are lots of things working against me, but I still want to give it a try. My best bet right now is to use the one-year Working Holiday Visa scheme that Canada has with Ireland, but if I can go straight on a permit I would really love that. I have lots of friends in Ireland, so I anticipate that I will want to spend more than a year. I'm even willing to go back to school (already have a graduate degree), that's how desperate I am!

So, here are my questions:

1. What is the "trainee" scheme? Is it only for non-EU grads of Irish universities or can they be applied to by someone without "status" (student visa, green card, etc.)?
2. Is there any restriction to switching from the Working Holiday Visa status to another category such as a green card (besides the requirement to leave the country, of course)
3. Is there anyone out there who worked in administrative capacity in their home country but was able to "maneuver" their way into a work permit or green card (not referring to bogus marriages; legal!)? If so, let me know.
4. I'm not sure, but does the 3rd-level Graduate scheme only apply to graduates who are awarded a degree (graduate/undergrad) at the end of their studies or is it open to programs leading to professional designations such as in accounting, etc.?
5. Are there any Canadians out there who have successfully made the move to Ireland while being non-EU? Or anyone from this side of he world without "status" or Irish grandparents? Please let me know. Send me a private message even.
6. Has anyone made the transition from Working Holiday visa to work/green card permit status? Tell me how, please. (I understand the "get a job on their list" part of the answer, but your strategy would be very helpful).
7. Any non-EU people here who were able to secure an internship in Ireland? Any leads on organizations that offer internships in Ireland?
8. Are any of you grads. from Irish schools who have successfully used the Graduate scheme to get a permit? Any info. on your program, school, length of study, etc., would be appreciated.
9. For a single person who doesn't eat much, is 30, 000 Euro "starvation" salary in the "Robber Republic"? :lol:

I will be moving next summer, so I know that I have a short time in which to explore the possibilities. A lot of questions, I know, but do your best to help me out, please. You can also send me a private message via this forum. Thx, everyone. :D

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:23 am

Have you thought about Northern Ireland?

nrose
Newly Registered

Post by nrose » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:49 am

JAJ wrote:Have you thought about Northern Ireland?
Yes, I have considered Northern Ireland...briefly. VERY briefly. :lol: I discarded the idea after reading things like this online: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/jan/1 ... eland.race. Not saying that Belfast is all of NI, but if things have improved in 4 years, please let me know.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:58 am

I'm not a Canadian, but I'm a New Zealander, and I managed to make the transition from a working holiday visa to a green card.
Basically (after much confusion) I left Ireland, and my employer put in an application for a green card (I work in IT and have a degree in IT) while I waited overseas. I supplied evidence that I'd left Ireland (in the form of a boarding pass and immigration stamp for my first port of call).
Was 6 weeks from the time my application was submitted to when I got the green card in my hands.

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... igible.htm states that all admin positions will not be issued employment permits, so, when applying you'd need to differentiate your position from this.

The graduate scheme is only available to those who have completed their degree in Ireland for the purpose of finding work so as to be sponsored for an employment permit. Those training for ACCA (after completion of a degree) can get a stamp 1A allowing them to work fulltime in accountancy allowing them to get ACCA.

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:16 am

esharknz wrote:Those training for ACCA (after completion of a degree) can get a stamp 1A allowing them to work fulltime in accountancy allowing them to get ACCA.
Actually, you do not require a degree to get a stamp 1A, though it helps in terms of securing a trainee accountant position, which is part of the reqirement.

Stamp 1A requirements:

1. Registration letter from accountancy body (must state fees are paid): ACCA, ICAI, CPAIreland, CIMA.

2. College registration letter (must state fees are paid, course and start date).

3. Training contract from firm with start date.

It does help to have a 4-year degree (in any field, i.e. I have a degree in Literature and Creative Writing from the US) in terms of finding a trainee accountant position, but it isn't impossible to find one without a degree. The ACCA actually has a degree option where by completing your training and exams plus a project, you will recieve a BSc (Hon) in Applied Accounting from Oxford Brookes University. Also, the ACCA qualification is recognised as a masters degree.

Note: You are required to complete 3 years of training. It is quite a committment. However, if you are really interested in business and accounting, it is well worth it. It will bring many opportunities.

The reason you are allowed to work full-time while training is that it is a requirement for the qualification. While on a stamp 1A, your time will not count a reckonable residence towards LTR/Naturalisation. It is seen more as a student stamp.

nrose
Newly Registered

Post by nrose » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:50 pm

esharknz wrote:I'm not a Canadian, but I'm a New Zealander, and I managed to make the transition from a working holiday visa to a green card.
Basically (after much confusion) I left Ireland, and my employer put in an application for a green card (I work in IT and have a degree in IT) while I waited overseas. I supplied evidence that I'd left Ireland (in the form of a boarding pass and immigration stamp for my first port of call).
Was 6 weeks from the time my application was submitted to when I got the green card in my hands.

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... igible.htm states that all admin positions will not be issued employment permits, so, when applying you'd need to differentiate your position from this.

The graduate scheme is only available to those who have completed their degree in Ireland for the purpose of finding work so as to be sponsored for an employment permit. Those training for ACCA (after completion of a degree) can get a stamp 1A allowing them to work fulltime in accountancy allowing them to get ACCA.
Thanks, esharknz. That was very helpful.