ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When can I apply for citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

working925
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

When can I apply for citizenship?

Post by working925 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:12 pm

Hi

I recently got my ILR via a 5 year General Tier 2 visa (October). I am under the impression I'm supposed to wait for a minimum of 12 months after getting my ILR before I can apply for a citizenship, so October 2021.

I'm married to a british citizen (naturalised in 2017).

I've been the in UK for well over 5 years now, with no major time abroad.

Can I apply for citizenship now, claiming I have an ILR and married to a british citizen? (just read that it is possible, but wasn't sure if that was for people who got their ILRs via the married/dependent route alone).

TIA

Dorota01
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: When can I apply for citizenship?

Post by Dorota01 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:19 pm

My understanding is that if you are married to a british citizen you don't have to wait those 12 months. You should be able to apply as soon as you get your ILR but I may be wrong. Perhaps it would be wise to wait for other feedback.

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:58 pm

To the best of my knowledge, if you're married to a British citizen then you can apply right away with an ILR.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:00 pm

Route to ILR is not relevant - you just have to have ILR for naturalisation.
You are correct, you can apply as soon as you got your ILR BRP, providing you meet all other requirements.
Refer to the official AN guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

working925
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by working925 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:04 pm

Thank you everyone for the quick replies.