ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6 month visitor visa?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

krista_uk
Newly Registered

6 month visitor visa?

Post by krista_uk » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Hello everyone,
I have a few questions about the 6 month visitor visa to the uk, and was hoping somebody could help me out a bit.
I am from the uk and have a friend from canada who wants to come here.
I know that he can get a 6 month visitors visa but immigration sites say it can be used numerous times in a year. I was wondering if after 6 months he can leave and come back in the same year for another 6 months?
or if he dosent complete his 6 months can he come back for 6 months after that?

Also, if he does stay here for 6 months, is he eligable to go back to canada and apply for a study visa here after that?

i guess what im asking is, that if he stays in the uk for 6 months, can he leave and come back again the same year?

I'm sorry for all the questions but i cant seem to find a clear answer to this anywhere. I would appriciate some help..
Thanks,
Krista. :wink:

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:32 pm

The key is 'genuine visitor' - if the IO thinks he is essentially living here on a visit then he will get bounced.

The rule of thumb is 6 months in every 12 but it's up to the discretion of the IO.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:40 pm

Wanderer wrote:The key is 'genuine visitor' - if the IO thinks he is essentially living here on a visit then he will get bounced.

The rule of thumb is 6 months in every 12 but it's up to the discretion of the IO.
I think that's right. However, if he came here as a visitor (genuinely) I don't believe that would prejudice his chances of obtaining a student visa within any particular time frame. He would of course, have to be able to prove that he would be a bone fide student, however, and they might, I suppose, have their suspicions raised as to whether he was just what one might call "a student of convenience".

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:18 pm

The key is 'genuine visitor' - if the IO thinks he is essentially living here on a visit then he will get bounced.
Reminds me of a case that was shown on the Border Force programme. The IO booted this guy out for returning back to UK in the space of a week or so.
Thanks Wanderer for posting the video download link.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:31 pm

If the friend were to spend 6 months on a visitor visa and then return home to canada to apply for a student visa (actually Entry Clearance), then any questions will be asked there and the situation clarified.