ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming Child Benefit re: EEA Family Permit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PAVA10

Claiming Child Benefit re: EEA Family Permit

Post by PAVA10 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:38 pm

I am a dual national British / irish citizen and my wife is a non-EEA national (holding a 5 year residence card after having first obtained an EEA Family Permit). We both live and work in the UK.

My wife is pregnant. Question: can we claim UK child benefit without affecting her right to reside in the UK?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:44 pm

I have moved this to the Claiming Benefit section of this Board.
My wife is pregnant. Question: can we claim UK child benefit without affecting her right to reside in the UK?
I think the answer must be no .... because it seems she has not yet given birth! However after the birth, no problem, a claim to Child Benefit can be made, and also a joint claim to Tax Credits.

In addition, assuming she has the "Certificate of Expected Confinement" she is entitled to free NHS prescriptions, and also free NHS dentistry (assuming you can find an NHS dentist) .... up to 12 months after the birth of the child.
John

PAVA10

Post by PAVA10 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:58 pm

Thanks John.

I presume the "certificate of expected confinement" is effectively the "NHS Maternity Exemption Card" which my wife has already from her GP? This is a platic card made out in her name which allows her to free NHS prescriptions........

I understood that a condition of my wife's residence in the UK was that she does not claim any benefits. I therefore presume that either:

(i) child benefit does not count in this context
(ii) The fact that both my wife and I work mean that this it is OK to claim
(iii) It is I (father) that needs to claim (as opposed to my wife) given that
I hold British citizenship

Thanks to confirm