ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship approval came and I am abraod

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Template
United Kingdom

Citizenship approval came and I am abraod

Post by Template » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:47 am

Dear CR01
Today I have received the approval email from home Office for me and my dependants citizenship.

I am in Dubai on business visit and it might take me a month and half to complete things hereI am supposed to complete.
Q1. Am I allowed to stay abroad after I received approval e-mail ?
Q2. Still I have to receive the ceritificate and when I get that one am I allowed to stay abroad after that.

Q3.i think I get only citizenship once I take oath in the council ?
Till that time I can be abroad for work ?

Q4. Can I request council for the date of oath and before that I can come to London and finish my work here?
Q5.
Can my wife and daughter go for oath to council with out me?

magicsign
Italy

Re: Citizenship approval came and I am abraod

Post by magicsign » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:35 am

If you’re only abroad for a short time, you might be asked to postpone the ceremony until you return to the UK. You must still book your ceremony within 6 months of getting an invitation.

https://www.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies

note that one of the requirements of the naturalisation application is that you intend to live permanently in the UK. Therefore, if it becomes evident that you cannot attend a ceremony in the UK within three months due to living in a different country, you may be asked to prove that it remains your intention is to live permanently in the UK. If the caseworker is not satisfied, the decision to approve your application may be overturned.

If you do not attend a ceremony within the agreed timeframe without good reason, your naturalisation application will be refused.

Template
United Kingdom

Post by Template » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:45 am

Please i Will appreciate if you reply my questions.

I am not at the stage you have described.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:48 pm

Template wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:47 am
Dear CR01
Today I have received the approval email from home Office for me and my dependants citizenship.

I am in Dubai on business visit and it might take me a month and half to complete things hereI am supposed to complete.
Q1. Am I allowed to stay abroad after I received approval e-mail ?
Nothing to worry. You only received the approval email. You will receive ceremony invitation from Home Office which can take around 3 months after approval. You can only book your ceremony thereafter with your council within 6 months AFTER the date on the ceremony invitation letter NOT approval. You only become British when you attend the ceremony. You can travel on ILR before you become British. You will have to apply for British Passport after that as ILR BRP will be invalid
Q2. Still I have to receive the ceritificate and when I get that one am I allowed to stay abroad after that.
See 1

Q3.i think I get only citizenship once I take oath in the council ?
Till that time I can be abroad for work ?
Yes. You will have to come back to attend the ceremony in UK. Note, ceremony invitation can be sent via email OR post so someone has to be checking the post also

Q4. Can I request council for the date of oath and before that I can come to London and finish my work here?
You will have to wait for HO ceremony invitation letter which can take around 2-3 months after approval
Q5.
Can my wife and daughter go for oath to council with out me?
They will follow the same procedure on THEIR OWN. With or without you does not matter. Only adults attend the ceremony. Note children become British at the date of approval/date on certificate as they do not attend the ceremony.
How old is your daughter?

If she is a child, her certificate can be posted to your address by HO. By law, you have to return the ILR BRP after you attend the ceremony/receive the certificate.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Template
United Kingdom

Post by Template » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:20 pm

Dear Cullinan

Thank you very much for the elaborate reply, I really appreciate that.

My two daughters are 16, they will receive approval letter and I guess that will be their nationality. Do i have to return their ILR BRPs at this stage ? And can I apply for their passports individually ?

Or I wait tp return the ILR BRPs till the time we all get invitation letters and after attending the ceremony. So we can all apply for the passports together ?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:54 pm

Your both daughters 16 will not attend the ceremony. Their certificates will be posted to your home address. Once you receive the certificates, you can apply for their British Passports. You should return the ILR BRP after you receive their certificates. They will be British from the date on the certificate. By law you have to return their ILR BRPs after receiving the certificate.

For yourself (adults) you will become British only when you attend the ceremony which can take good few months. You have to return ILR BRP after ceremony within 5 working days.

To apply for a British Passport, one has to be a British Citizen. Adults become British on ceremony date and once you have the certificate in hand.

All passport applications are individual.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Template
United Kingdom

Post by Template » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:04 pm

Dear Cullinan

Thank you very much Sir, I really appreciate your very informative replies. So for my 16 yrs children passports we will apply, once we receive their certificates, does not have to be parents British that's great.