ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mistake/typo in my citizenship application made yesterday!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Cecilondon
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Mistake/typo in my citizenship application made yesterday!

Post by Cecilondon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:00 pm

Good evening everyone,

First of all I hope everyone is keeping safe and sorry in advance for the long blurb...

I finalized and paid for my application for British citizenship last night (I am EEA citizen and have settled status) and although I had triple checked everything before paying, I realized as I read the printed out form that I made one horrible typo on the return date of one of my trips outside of the UK in 2017. The trip was in India between April 7th, 2017 and April 20th, 2017 but I stupidly wrote April 20th, 2019 as a return date!!! So instead of an 11 days trip it makes it a 741 days trip which would automatically disqualify me for the citizenship :(
As I realized my mistake this morning, I immediately sent an email to the FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk email address to notify them of the issue and received an automated answer saying that they would get back to me within 20 working days.

I have my appointment at UKVCAS on March 3rd.

After reading a few posts on this forum, I also called the HO and managed to speak to a person who suggested either to withdraw my application and that I "may" get a refund as it was very recent and I hadn't submitted my documents/biometrics yet or to not do anything and go to my appointment on March 3rd with all my documents plus a cover letter and justifying documents (my flight booking confirmation stating the actual return date on April 20th 2017) to join it to the rest of the documents explaining my typo/mistake.

So... now I am torn as I am not sure what the best solution is to rectify this and would like to know if someone had an experience or advice around this.

many thanks in advance for your help.

Ceclondon

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Mistake/typo in my citizenship application made yesterday!

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:21 pm

Simply add a cover letter explaining the error and upload with your documents. Don't panic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

novalicary
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by novalicary » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:40 pm

Just wanted to say that I did something similar.

I had entered a week long trip to the Netherlands With a return date of November x, 2109 Rather than November X, 2019 so my Days out of the country showed 3662 Days for that trip!

To be fair, when you complete the application the number of days out of the country is not shown, it was only shown when I printed the application after I had submitted it and realised my error.

Mine was such a ridiculous error it was obviously an error.

As is yours.

I submitted a cover letter With my materials I uploaded explaining the correct dates and all was fine.

Although my application did take an extra few months to decide compared to others’ submitted at the same time so I have wondered if it was directed into a “special” category before they read my explanation. But there’s no proof of that.

novalicary
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by novalicary » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:42 pm

I had entered a week long trip to the Netherlands With a return date of November x, 2109 Rather than November X, 2019 so my Days out of the country showed 3662 Days for that trip!

To be fair, when you complete the application the number of days out of the country is not shown, it was only shown when I printed the application after I had submitted it and realised my error.

As is yours.

I submitted a cover letter With my materials I uploaded explaining the correct dates and all was fine.

Although my application did take an extra few months to decide compared to others’ submitted at the same time so I have wondered if it was directed into a “special” category before they read my explanation. But there’s no proof of that.

Cecilondon
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cecilondon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:14 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:21 pm
Simply add a cover letter explaining the error and upload with your documents. Don't panic.
Oh thanks for your speedy reply! OK, I am trying not to panic but have to say that by heart skipped a beat when I realized my mistake this morning! I will follow your advice, thanks again.

Cecilondon
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cecilondon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:15 pm

novalicary wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:42 pm

As is yours.

Ha! This is super reassuring, many thanks for your reply, I will add the cover letter and corresponding documents :wink:

novalicary
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by novalicary » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:26 pm

I did not include any documentation about my week long trip, for what it is worth. My passport had been stamped So they could look there. But if you have it handy, why not.

I just wrote that I made a type when entering the dates In the application and what the dates should have read, and the total days abroad.

If I recall, I also verified at some point on the application that the dates did not exceed the maximum allowed, which further indicated an error of a typo nature.

Cecilondon
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Cecilondon » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:26 am

novalicary wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:26 pm
I did not include any documentation about my week long trip, for what it is worth. My passport had been stamped So they could look there. But if you have it handy, why not.

I just wrote that I made a type when entering the dates In the application and what the dates should have read, and the total days abroad.

If I recall, I also verified at some point on the application that the dates did not exceed the maximum allowed, which further indicated an error of a typo nature.
Super and thanks again, I had a good night sleep thanks to you :wink: