ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Domestic Worker's

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SillyB00
Newly Registered

Domestic Worker's

Post by SillyB00 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:48 pm

me and my husband both work full time, i work in the day he works in the evening to early hours of the morning. we have 2 young children under the age 4, my elderly mother lives with us, she is disabled and on pension credits and disability benefits.

i was wondering if i would be able to bring a domestic worker from abroad, someone we know and trust. both me and my family are British nationals/citizens/British born and only go back home once year - not always.

i looked on the visa website it doesn't really have that much info - only it says that the domestic worker should have been working for us for at least a year - like i mentioned before we hardly go back home and if we do we only stay for a max of 3 weeks or less.

we both earn a decent wage so money wise it wont be a problem.

any information on this side of the immigration law would really help me.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:17 pm

159A(ii) is a problem for you.
18.10 - Overseas Domestic Workers in private (not diplomatic) households wrote:Requirements for entry clearance
The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the UK as a domestic worker in a private household are that he/she:

* is aged 18 YES - has been employed as a domestic worker for one year or more immediately prior to the application for entry clearance under the same roof as his/her employer or in a household that the employer uses for himself/herself on a regular basis and where there is evidence that there is a connection between employer and employee;
Section 12 - Overseas domestic workers wrote:2.2. Period of previous employment

Term of employment with employer overseas before seeking entry clearance: 12 months minimum immediately prior to application for entry clearance. The purpose of the minimum period of previous employment with the employer (or with the employer's spouse or minor child forming part of the same household) is to ensure that there is a genuine existing employer/employee relationship and to prevent recruitment of overseas domestic workers by people in the United Kingdom. A short gap in the 12 months does not necessarily disqualify the applicant unless it indicates the lack of a genuine existing employer/employee relationship.
Last edited by vinny on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:17 pm

Has the person been working for you in your household for at least a year, and have you been paying them for all of that year? By year I mean all of the past year. Do you have a household back home?

Regards

paulp
Diamond Member

Re: Domestic Worker's

Post by paulp » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:27 pm

SillyB00 wrote:both me and my family are British nationals/citizens/British born and only go back home once year - not always.
I am puzzled, where is "home"?

SillyB00
Newly Registered

Post by SillyB00 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:29 am

home = bangladesh

i do have a home in bdesh well its my inlaw's house and like i mentioned before i only travel once a year and sometimes its not even that.

i've read all the requirements on the BIA webpage so i thought there might be a work around like a loop hole.

oh well, never mind i guess i have to go part time. thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated!