ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship approval came and I am abraod

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

m_stram
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Citizenship approval came and I am abraod

Post by m_stram » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:25 pm

Hi everyone, quick question as I'm in a similar boat and looks like I'm stuck because of COVID lockdowns on both sides of the border...

As virtual ceremonies can only be done in the UK does anyone know if it's possible to attend a ceremony at the local embassy? I've been trying to reach them but it's borderline impossible to and my emails aren't getting answered.

Thanks in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship approval came and I am abraod

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:40 pm

m_stram wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:25 pm
Hi everyone, quick question as I'm in a similar boat and looks like I'm stuck because of COVID lockdowns on both sides of the border...

As virtual ceremonies can only be done in the UK does anyone know if it's possible to attend a ceremony at the local embassy? I've been trying to reach them but it's borderline impossible to and my emails aren't getting answered.

Thanks in advance!
Please do not tag on to other members topics. It is unfair to other users and creates confusion.

No you cannot attend your ceremony abroad at an embassy.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

m_stram
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by m_stram » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 pm

I apologise, didn't mean to cause confusion. Thank you for your answer.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:24 pm

If you asked them, then they may have immediate doubts about your future intentions, unless you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:28 pm

Topic split. Please keep your citizenship related questions in this thread.

Oaths at embassies are normally reserved for applicants who either are treated as if they are in the UK (foreign spouses of Crown servants/diplomats abroad) or who would have acquired British citizenship automatically but for a quirk of the law (applicants on Form UKM/UKF, with British mothers or fathers at the time of their birth who could not pass their British citizenship to the applicants automatically).

For both these cases, there is also no future intentions requirement (that they will make the UK their principal home if they are given citizenship), which is a requirement for for almost all other naturalisation applications. The Home Office would be very suspicious if your very first act, even before becoming a British citizen, is moving abroad.

Keep in mind that at this stage, you are not yet a British citizen, only approved to be one. And that approval can be rescinded if there are developments and/or a change in your circumstances between the approval and the citizenship ceremony.

Indeed, there were two recent cases on these forums where an investigation of a possible breach of the future intentions requirement was triggered, when after they were naturalised in the UK, two newly naturalised British citizens then applied for their first British passport from abroad.

EDIT: Overtaken by vinny's much more succinct post.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.