ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I have to mention my dual nationality when I apply for British citizenship ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

IB2021
Newly Registered
European Union

Do I have to mention my dual nationality when I apply for British citizenship ?

Post by IB2021 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:23 pm

Hello,
I am European citizen applying for British citizenship this year as received Settled Status last year. I have been European citizen for 25 years by naturalisation but have an another nationality by birth from an African country. Both countries allow dual citizenship. I have never been to that country since my family moved to Europe when I was a child but have recently renewed my ID documents from that African country. When applying for the Settlement Scheme last year I did not mention that I had the other citizenship as did not have the documents with me when I was applying and I only use my European nationality and documents. Do I have to mention my dual citizenship ? Is it going to cause me issues that I did not mention it for the Settlement Scheme when applying to UK citizenship ? If I do not mention it are they going to notice with my parents' details and my place of birth ?
Thanks in advance for the help!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Do I have to mention my dual nationality when I apply for British citizenship ?

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 pm

The form very clearly asks about all your nationalities/citizenships you hold so yes you must declare all.

If you are approved and become British, you will also have to submit both nationality passports when you apply for a British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

IB2021
Newly Registered
European Union

Re: Do I have to mention my dual nationality when I apply for British citizenship ?

Post by IB2021 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:30 pm

Thanks a lot for your response. Do I need to correct the information about dual nationality for my Settled Status prior to applying to UK citizenship ?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:48 pm

No, don't correct anything. The EUSS was given to you because of your EU nationality and nothing else.

IB2021
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by IB2021 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:22 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 pm
The form very clearly asks about all your nationalities/citizenships you hold so yes you must declare all.

If you are approved and become British, you will also have to submit both nationality passports when you apply for a British passport.
How does that work if I do not have a passport or valid ID for the other nationality as I have not been in that country for decades ? Do I have to request any paperwork from that country before I can apply to become British ?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:26 pm

IB2021 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:22 pm
CR001 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 pm

How does that work if I do not have a passport or valid ID for the other nationality as I have not been in that country for decades ? Do I have to request any paperwork from that country before I can apply to become British ?
If you don't have any uncancelled passports of that nationality, you would not have to submit that.

It is only if you have uncancelled (even if expired) passports of that nationality, that you will have to submit them as well, at the time of applying for a British passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.