ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

do I have to send in both passports?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MlleJules
Newly Registered
Ireland

do I have to send in both passports?

Post by MlleJules » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:53 pm

I have both US and UK passports. I am applying for naturalisation on the basis of marriage to an Irish citizen and have almost 4 years of residency in Ireland.

I was intending to apply based only on my British citizenship, and send in my original British passport, and a photocopy of my US passport. The naturalisation form 8 does not ask for "any other citizenships", and therefore if it were not for being born in the USA, presumably the immigration office would not even know of this other, secondary citizenship.

However, I'm wondering if that would be a mistake. The guidelines say: "2. The original of your current passport and any previous passports valid during periods of residence in the State, together with a photocopy of the biometric page of each passport." (emphasis mine)

If the word "previous" wasn't there, it would be obvious that I would have to send all original passports valid during my 4 years here, which would include the US one. But it says previous – my US passport is not a passport previous to anything, it is current. But I'm applying as a UK citizen. Not as a US one.

What would you do? I would rather not send in both, as it allows me the possibility of emergency travel to the US, say if a family member were to pass away. And yet I also don't want to cause delays with my application by making them ask me later for my original US passport.

Thank you!

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: do I have to send in both passports?

Post by Vorona » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:08 pm

I would sent both. All passports valid during residency must be sent.
As said in the previous topic, I also have two nationalities and have used both passport to enter and leave Ireland, which means that immigration authorities are perfectly aware about a person with the same name and surname, date and place of birth using different passports, and I also have Irish entry stamps on both.

Personally I don't think this will be a problem if you only send the passport for the nationality that you will indicate on the form, however I won't be surprised if they get in touch and request another one.

I had the same thoughts and just ended up sending all four passports (2 for each citizenship's I currently have). All four were mentioned in the acknowledgement letter.

Don't bother with certified copy only. If they see that they will most likely request the original. Passports are required to verify the identity of the person in the initial stage.