ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent help ILR will likely fail.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

GlassEye
Newly Registered
Australia

Urgent help ILR will likely fail.

Post by GlassEye » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:56 am

Hi please help.
I am in a desperate situation. I applied for set m ilr back in Oct 2020 (biometric 22nd). Unfortunately I mad a huge error which just came to light. Back in 2019(dec) I was questioned by the police over an item I purchased from aliexpress. At the time I was unwell with a kidney infection and didn't realise they gave me a simple caution. In the meantime I ticked No to receiving any caution /warning on my ilr applucation. Upon researching for citizenship step I realised I should apply for my police record to see what it states - a month later (this week) it arrived. I feel sick to my stomach at seeing I was indeed given a simple caution.

My reading of the gov sites states a mandatory refusal of ilr for a simple caution - plus given that I ticked No to caution/warning, I fear I will be hit with a refusal on deception grounds.

If I cancel this application for ilr, could I apply for a second flr(m) visa?

I need to act quickly as my brp runs out on 15 March.

Please please help

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Urgent help ILR will likely fail.

Post by zimba » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:15 pm

Simple caution will lead to a refusal within 24 months. I suggest writing to UKVI, explaining that you missed putting the information on the form. If SET(M) fails, the caseworker often offers an extension but under the 10-year route.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:54 pm

Vary your leave to FLR(M)? Explain that you had just received information that you had a simple caution.

Note that for applications from 1 Dec 2020, there were changes in the Criminal thresholds.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

GlassEye
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by GlassEye » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:11 pm

Thank you Zimba and Vinny for your help.

I have managed to secure a consultation with an immigration lawyer for tomorrow morning.

So to change to flr(m) I need to withdraw this ILR application and apply for a FLR (m) giving me 30 months - expensive path having health surcharge and paying for 10 day result and losing the ilr application fee. This would make my time in UK 5+2.5 years, it would take me past the 24month limit of having the caution. Thus I could apply for ILR in early 2022.... Or would I have to wait for the brp issued for this additional flr(m) to expire before applying for ilr again?

Oh a quandy to be sure.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:20 pm

Vary. Not withdraw.

In the new criminality thresholds, there seems to be two options: must refuse or may refuse. There doesn’t seem to be waiting periods for ILR anymore.

After a grant of FLR(M), I think you may be able to apply for SET(M) straight away, as they are probably unlikely to refuse due to a simple caution.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

GlassEye
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by GlassEye » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:28 pm

Thank you for your speedy response Vinny. To say this is making us ill and stressed is an understatement.

How and where do I vary my ilr application to flr(m)? I can only find where to withdraw ilr on gov site.
So I pay all fees and surcharges plus rapid result, add a cover letter also? Then if granted, apply for ilr soon?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:37 pm

Apply for FLR(M) as usual. This will be considered the variation of the previous application
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:40 pm

When you apply online, it asks
Do you currently have an application with the Home Office for leave to remain for which you have not yet received a decision?
Answer Yes.
If you have submitted any other applications to the Home Office which have not yet been decided then submitting this application varies those previous applications. This means that only this application, which you are now completing, will now be considered.

GlassEye
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by GlassEye » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:04 pm

Oh Zimba and Vinny you are both truly lifesavers. We are in floods of tears right now - relief at there being a way out of this mess. Trying to get back to Australia with my UK born spouse is a nightmare with covid and closed borders...

So to clarify steps we need to take-
-we vary current ilr to flr(m)
-Can we ask for 6month flr?
-add a cover letter explaining original ilr error not disclosing simple caution
-once flr granted, re apply for ilr almost immediately?
-if that ilr is accepted we would need to wait till after Dec 2021 (given that caution was dated Dec 2019) to apply for citizenship - that has 2year limit for caution as I understand

Has the new criminality threshold of Dec 2020 altered wording on the ilr application form?

Again our sincere thanks to you both.
I shall keep this updated as we take further steps. It might be of help to others out there.

GlassEye
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by GlassEye » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:16 pm

I am filling in the flr form in preparation for sending off tomorrow after getting it checked by an immigration lawyer. However I am now pulling out my hair over the questions asked regarding my spouses daughter who is an adult of 33 years.

The section is "non applying children". Obviously she is not applying ( British born). The questions require her passport details and other such info including her birth fathers involvement - even proof of his address eg utility bill. They even ask for her overseas travel history. (6wks in USA 8yrs ago) .... The application is titled Family Route.
Any guidance on this is needed.... Do we really have to supply this info for our 33year old daughter?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:57 pm

'Children' here refers ONLY to those under the age of 18 as per Appendix FM :!:

GlassEye
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by GlassEye » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:04 pm

:oops: oops this is a face-palm moment for me!
Thank you Zimba.

poper
Diamond Member
India

Post by poper » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:14 pm

FLR(M) is issued for 2.5 years. I don't think you could do 6 months
Any suggestions I make in the forum are out my personal experience and should not be taken as a legal/professional advise.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:29 am

vinny wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:20 pm
After a grant of FLR(M), I think you may be able to apply for SET(M) straight away, as they are probably unlikely to refuse due to a simple caution.
Opps. :oops: Please ignore the above. :oops:

Zimba wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:15 pm
Simple caution will lead to a refusal within 24 months.
is correct.

The new criminality grounds do not apply to applicants under Appendix FM, except 9.4.5.

S-ILR.1.6.
The applicant has, within the 24 months prior to the date on which the application is decided, been convicted of or admitted an offence for which they received a non-custodial sentence or other out of court disposal that is recorded on their criminal record.
still applies. It makes an ILR application likely to fail.

GlassEye
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by GlassEye » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:51 am

Hi
Thank you for the clarification.
So the stage I am at now is that I varied my ILR application to a Flr and have secured a biometric appointment for March 10 which puts me 5 days before my current brp expires.

I shall endeavour to seek a solicitor's advice to get the caution removed from my record also in the event it will be a detriment to my future - all I did was purchase an item from aliexpress.

Finally if the caution stands against me as it does now, under the new criminality grounds - 2 years need to elapse before I can apply for Ilr, (Dec 2019 to Dec 2021), so applying for ilr in early 2022 would be my aim. As such if this flr is successful (should know in 8 or 9 weeks according to time line), potentially it will be granted for 2.5yrs. Given I have been in UK 5ys3mnth already, is it possible to apply for ilr part way through my flr period? Or would that be deemed as an early application and thus will have to wait the full 2.5yrs applying for ilr.

Thank you all for your help.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:47 am

You may apply for ILR as soon as you have satisfied all the requirements for ILR, including Section S-ILR: Suitability for indefinite leave to remain, etc.

There’s no requirement to wait longer. It’s possible to apply for ILR part way through your FLR period.

GlassEye
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by GlassEye » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:19 am

Oh Vinny sincerely thank you so much for your help. :)