ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering as a British citizen with miss spelled name on the birth certificate.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Galaa
United Kingdom

Registering as a British citizen with miss spelled name on the birth certificate.

Post by Galaa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi All,

Recently, I and my wife got our ILR so my daughter became eligible to register as a British citizen as she born in the UK. But when we take her birth certificate we have miss spelled her name. So I have two questions:
1. Should we correct her name on the birth certificate before registering? Or, can we correct it on the registration form?
2. Or, should we correct her name when we apply for a British passport?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Re: Registering as a British citizen with miss spelled name on the birth certificate.

Post by mesn » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:26 pm

Galaa wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:38 pm
Hi All,

Recently, I and my wife got our ILR so my daughter became eligible to register as a British citizen as she born in the UK. But when we take her birth certificate we have miss spelled her name. So I have two questions:
1. Should we correct her name on the birth certificate before registering? Or, can we correct it on the registration form?

Please correct the birth certificate which the council gives. Strange that you dint spot it at the time. I was given a printout first to verify the details before they printed it on the official document.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

Galaa
United Kingdom

Re: Registering as a British citizen with miss spelled name on the birth certificate.

Post by Galaa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:54 pm

mesn wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:26 pm
Galaa wrote:
Hi All,

Please correct the birth certificate which the council gives. Strange that you dint spot it at the time. I was given a printout first to verify the details before they printed it on the official document.
Thanks for the reply.

Based on what you are advising to first correct name?

Yeh, the problem was we did not how to spell her name correctly in English alphabet, it is not an easy name to write down in English letters. Once we receive her non-English passport we realize we had wrong spelling.

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Post by mesn » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:45 pm

Galaa wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:54 pm
mesn wrote:
Galaa wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeh, the problem was we did not how to spell her name correctly in English alphabet, it is not an easy name to write down in English letters. Once we receive her non-English passport we realize we had wrong spelling.
Yes. I think Birth certificate is the beginning. Naturalization & British passport will follow. So, better to keep the same spelling everywhere.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

Galaa
United Kingdom

Post by Galaa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:48 pm

mesn wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:45 pm
Galaa wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:54 pm
mesn wrote:
Galaa wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. I think Birth certificate is the beginning. Naturalization & British passport will follow. So, better to keep the same spelling everywhere.

I see, but some people change their name when they naturalize, am I right? I was thinking there might be such an option when we register her.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:21 pm

Please follow what member @mesn said to save yourself from future complications. The name on the birth certificate/passport should be correct and same. That is the name that will be printed on the registration certificate.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:44 pm

If you want to change her name do it after she has obtained her first child British Passport and then reapply for the child British passport again.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.