ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

jobseekeers allowance

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zubie patel
Newly Registered

jobseekeers allowance

Post by zubie patel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:32 am

i need to know if those on tier 1 visa can claim jobseekers allowance ? if so which type without having recourse to public funds ? how wud that effect an extention to tier 1 ? also what happens if someone on tier 1 gets a baby ? will they get any benifits ? does the infant need to be made a dependant on tier 1 ? any additional charges for this ?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:22 am

There are two types of JSA, and only one of them is within the definition of Public Funds. Accordingly it is not OK to claim income-based JSA, but it is totally OK to claim contribution-based JSA ..... if you have paid enough NI contributions.
also what happens if someone on tier 1 gets a baby ? will they get any benifits ?
In order to answer that you need to explain a lot more. The nationality of the parents of the child? Also if either of them worked in another country, apart from that of their nationality, before coming to the UK, then details of that please.
does the infant need to be made a dependant on tier 1 ?
The child is perfectly entitled to stay in the UK without having a visa .... BUT! The problem is that if the child is going to be removed from the UK, for example to visit family back home, then how to get the child back into the UK? So if such overseas travel is planned for the child, yes the child will need to have a dependent visa in their passport, in order to permit re-entry into the UK.
John

nsm2010

Post by nsm2010 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi John,
I came here in the UK on HSMP visa last december 2007 and got a decent job of 48000 per annum. My salary for 7 continuous months had been subjected to a tax and NI decutions. Now, I have been redundant since 3 months and unable to find a new job, despite of my best efforts so far. I am supporting a family including my wife (non-working) and two kids of 12 & 8 years old.
Until now I was surviving on my savings but in case if I need any help or claim, what benefits or claims I would be able to claim as HSMP visa holder???