ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Who to inform and update after getting British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Alakazam

Who to inform and update after getting British passport

Post by Alakazam » Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 pm

Hi all

Once I receive the British passport, do I need to inform any bodies like the HMRC or bank or anyone else?

I know that I have to inform HR at work. But other than that, I could not find any advice/guidance online whether any other bodies need to be informed.

Any guidance on this will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Alakazam

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Who to inform and update after getting British passport

Post by alterhase58 » Sun May 02, 2021 10:30 pm

There are no rules on which organisations to advise that you are now a British citizen. Main ones I would suggest is an update to the electoral register (via your local council) and your bank (possibly online update) as they need to "know their customers", and of course HR so they won't chase you for right of work confirmation (they may still do ...). HMRC not necessary as it doesn't change your taxation status. Otherwise I would just go along and advise when requested.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.