ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change on British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Passport received in maiden name

Post by ScoobyLondon » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:13 pm

My wife’s British Passport arrived yesterday!

Unfortunately it arrived in her maiden name, even though she applied in her married name.
We also included the marriage certificate.

She hasn’t signed the passport yet but how do we correct to the marriage name?

How long does it take and what documents do we need to include?
Any chance of getting this fast-tracked?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport received in maiden name

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:17 pm

What name is in her foreign passport??

If it is her first British passport, it will only be issued in the name of her foreign passport as per HMPO policy.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Post by ScoobyLondon » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:23 pm

The foreign passport is in her maiden name.

I recall the passport application asking if the name had been changed and we said it was changed through marriage.

Surely that question is there to update from maiden name to marriage name, or have I missed something?

Going forward, how do we correct the situation?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:21 pm

Surely that question is there to update from maiden name to marriage name, or have I missed something?
Yes, provided her foreign passport has been updated. You are not the first or the last to have this problem. HMPO will not issue passports in a different name, this is to avoid multiple identities.

british-citizenship/passport-refused-un ... 83170.html
Going forward, how do we correct the situation?
Change her name by deed poll and reapply for the passport or change her foreign passport to married name and reapply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Post by ScoobyLondon » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Is there a difference in the two routes, name change on foreign passport vs deed poll?

From the little I know, I’ve seen questions asked ‘have you changed name by deed poll’ so seems the ‘better’ choice is name change on foreign passport, to reduce any future complexities.

Does everyone agree or does it not matter?

Curious to know, what does Deed Poll cost and how long does it take?

Thanks again

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Not personally familiar with this but check here:
https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll
I believe you can do all this yourself.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:52 am

ScoobyLondon wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:01 pm
Is there a difference in the two routes, name change on foreign passport vs deed poll?

From the little I know, I’ve seen questions asked ‘have you changed name by deed poll’ so seems the ‘better’ choice is name change on foreign passport, to reduce any future complexities.

Does everyone agree or does it not matter?

Curious to know, what does Deed Poll cost and how long does it take?

Thanks again
I do not believe deed poll is necessary in your case. If her foreign passport is updated to her married name, HMPO will issue her passport in her married name too.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:32 pm

Zimba wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:52 am
I do not believe deed poll is necessary in your case. If her foreign passport is updated to her married name, HMPO will issue her passport in her married name too.
Indeed, changing her name by deed poll but not changing the name in her foreign passport could render her ineligible for a British passport.

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Name change on British passport

Post by ScoobyLondon » Wed May 05, 2021 1:58 am

Hi

My wife got her British passport almost a year ago. The passport was in her maiden name, which matched her foreign passport.

From reading these forums, the only way to change the British Passport to her married name is to first change her foreign passport. After a long delay, finally, her foreign passport now reflects her married name.

How do I apply for a new British Passport in her married name and what documents do we need to include? And how likely is this process likely to take and is there a way to fast track it?

Thanks in advance

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Name change on British passport

Post by CULLINAN » Wed May 05, 2021 2:47 am

Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed May 05, 2021 2:55 am

As long your wife has updated foreign passport in married name, all she needs to do is update the details on British Passport. Previous BP will be cancelled and HMPO will issue new passport in married name:

The checklist at the end should give you list of documents.

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Post by ScoobyLondon » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:39 pm

A follow up on this thread.

We submitted the application for name change (passport renewal online) and sent the following documents (all original documentation):

- British passport
- foreign passport
- UK marriage license
- driving license
- bank statement
- utility bill

These were the requested docs as per the application and all docs show the intended name usage.

We got an email yesterday requesting the Naturalisation Certificate (which shows the pre-marriage name) so really confused by this all. Nevertheless, I've included this along with a covering letter, just to be doubly-sure.

What's the reason for requesting the Naturalisation Certificate as this is in the pre-marriage name?
Will they issue a new Naturalisation Certificate as per the new intended name change?

Lastly, is there anything else I can add or clarify to make it easier for them to process the application?

Thanks again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:08 pm

A new certificate will not be issued in her new name. HMPO doesn't deal with certificates anyway.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Post by ScoobyLondon » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:47 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:08 pm
A new certificate will not be issued in her new name. HMPO doesn't deal with certificates anyway.
Any reason why they would request the Naturalisation Certificate, just doesn't make sense why they would request this?

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Post by ScoobyLondon » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:01 pm

So, after including a covering letter stating the name change was evidenced by the UK Marriage Certificate, we received a letter this morning stating,

'in order for us to proceed with your application, please send us a Change of Name Deed from abc to xyz'

I just have to follow their orders, despite the Marriage Certificate stating the obvious.

Anyway, how do I go about fulfilling their request for a Change of Name Deed and how quickly can I get this done.

Much appreciated.

thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:11 pm

I believe the marriage certificate cannot act as a name change certificate.
You probably need this: https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll
No experience personally.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Post by ScoobyLondon » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:30 pm

I've gone down the Deed Poll route so hoping once it comes through, that'll be it.

Not sure why they didn't accept the UK Marriage Certificate which is weird.

Fingers crossed they'll accept the Deed Poll as there's nothing more I can we can do!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:13 pm

Did you change her naturalisation certificate too?
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Post by ScoobyLondon » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:21 pm

No, I don't think you can.

Besides, the Naturalisation Certificate was already sent to HM and they haven't requested any further documents except the name change.

I think the Naturalisation Certificate is similar to the Birth Certificate in that its a historic document representing the name at that time.

I just can't believe the whole process is so drawn out.