ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1, citizenship and marriage certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

icuexyz
Newly Registered
Spain

MN1, citizenship and marriage certificate

Post by icuexyz » Wed May 05, 2021 11:53 am

Hi

My daughter was born in the UK in 2017 to EU parents. Later in 2019 the three of us (child and both parents) got granted with Settled Status under EU Settlement Scheme. I have now applied (via MN1) for her registration as a British citizenship by virtue of Section 1(3), as her parents have now become settled.

I was reviewing the post application documents we need to provide them with in our appointment for the biometrics, and to my surprise the marriage certificate is apparently one of the mandatory ones. It was my understanding that the parents' civil status was irrelevant in this scenario, but I wonder if I am wrong.

Just to clarify, we are married, indeed, but my actual concern is that it is very likely I'd need to travel to personally obtain this certificate in my country, and then get it translated, and given the current pandemic circumstances and tight time frames this can be problematic as I am not sure I can get it in time for the appointment.

Can anyone clarify if the marriage certificate is really required for citizenship registration under Section 1(3)?

Many thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: MN1, citizenship and marriage certificate

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:09 pm

The MN1 guidance (page 24) states the following (quote):
"For children living in the UK
Provide the following:
• Child’s full birth certificate
• Child’s passport of entry to the United Kingdom, and any subsequent passports
Parents’ marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
• If one of the parents does not agree to registration a letter explaining their
reasons.
• If the application is being made by a guardian, evidence of their right to do so,
such as a deed, will or court order.
Only include children who are not already British. "
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -Jul19.pdf

Other members should confirm or explain otherwise.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed May 05, 2021 2:57 pm

Just to share my own personal experience:

I successfully registered my daughter (born in UK, mother on ILR status) as British and did NOT submit any marriage certificate.

I believe if the mother is settled and the child relies on that proof, marriage certificate is immaterial.

The child’s UK birth certificate and mother’s settled status evidence should be enough.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

icuexyz
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by icuexyz » Wed May 05, 2021 7:03 pm

As I said the document is definitely in the list of mandatory ones for the UKVCAS appointment, but I still wonder if marriage as such matters when it comes to registration outcome, as Section 1(3) is all about the parents becoming settled, not about them getting married.

Now that CULLINAN mentioned that, I don't know if an application based on the mother changes anything, or even how they determine which parent the application is based on. Do you think it is worth providing them with my wife's settlement details and and cover letter explaining this situation?

Thanks both.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 05, 2021 8:35 pm

Did the form have any queries about the marital status of the mother?

I am making a conjecture and I could be wrong, but for the purposes of nationality law, the father of a child is defined as the husband of the mother, regardless of the name of the father on the birth certificate.

So, if the mother is listed as married and the registration is being based on the father's Settled Status/ILR, the Home Office will ask for the marriage certificate.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed May 05, 2021 10:29 pm

I don't know if an application based on the mother changes anything, or even how they determine which parent the application is based on. Do you think it is worth providing them with my wife's settlement details and and cover letter explaining this situation?
A UK born child can be registered as British even if one parent is settled. In your case, both of the parent(s) are settled.
It is the documentary evidence you provide to support the application. I would advise to rely on mother’s settled status documentary evidence in this case.
Also, a consent form is needed. Both mother and father signs it.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed May 05, 2021 10:30 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:35 pm
Did the form have any queries about the marital status of the mother?

I am making a conjecture and I could be wrong, but for the purposes of nationality law, the father of a child is defined as the husband of the mother, regardless of the name of the father on the birth certificate.

So, if the mother is listed as married and the registration is being based on the father's Settled Status/ILR, the Home Office will ask for the marriage certificate.
What about unmarried couples? Can they not register their children as British after they are settled?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed May 05, 2021 10:36 pm

In my case, me and my wife are religiously married (Islamic marriage inside UK). Our marriage is not registered in UK so legally we are considered unmarried in UK.

However, I have always declared us “married” in all UK immigration applications/British Citizenship application and clarified we are “religiously” married. I declared the same for my daughter’s MN1 application.

Did not send any marriage certificate. On top of it our marriage is not even considered legal in UK. Had no issues in registering daughter as British without a marriage certificate. Mother’s ILR status (settled) and UK birth certificate was enough.

I am not sure if marriage certificate is a mandatory requirement for children relying on father’s ILR (settled status)?
But if it is then what about unmarried couples?

@secret.simon

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 05, 2021 11:11 pm

To the best of my knowledge, provided both parents are unmarried, a father named on the birth certificate would be recognised as the father and can (possibly) register the child as a British citizen once that father has been granted ILR.

I believe (I could be wrong) that in the case of unmarried parents, the Home Office can require DNA evidence that the putative father is indeed the biological/natural father of the child.

However, if the mother is married, the mother's husband is the father of the child for the purpose of any facet of nationality law.
Section 50 (Interpretation) of the British Nationality Act 1981 wrote:(9A)For the purposes of this Act a child’s father is—

(a)the husband or male civil partner, at the time of the child’s birth, of the woman who gives birth to the child, or

(b)where a person is treated as the father of the child under section 28 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990 or section 35 or 36 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008, that person, or

(ba)where a person is treated as a parent of the child under section 42 or 43 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008, that person, or

(c)where none of paragraphs (a) to (ba) applies, a person who satisfies prescribed requirements as to proof of paternity.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed May 05, 2021 11:37 pm

Thank you. So looks like if a mother is unmarried or married (marriage certificate is immaterial then)?
Best to rely on mother’s settled status if there is no marriage certificate.