ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after application submitted to replace BRC to a UK one

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

staceyby
Newly Registered
Belarus

Travel after application submitted to replace BRC to a UK one

Post by staceyby » Sat May 22, 2021 11:12 pm

Dear all,

I have had settled status as a non-EEA family member since 2019. I also have permanent residence under EU rules with BRC expiry date of June 2026. As per information on gov.uk earlier this year, under the impression that I need to replace the BRC, I have applied and submitted biometrics two weeks ago for the replacement of my BRC to the one under the UK rules.

Due to bereavement in an immediate family in home country, I am to travel for the funeral next week, coming back first week of June.

My concern is whether there might be a problem for me coming back in a week's time with the BRC (EEA), while my application for its replacement is with the UKVI?
I tried phoning and checking with UKVI and Settlement Scheme Center and neither of them could guide me on this.
Is there a way to withdraw the application? If I do so, can it cause problems in the future, e.g. when applying for citizenship?
Thank you very much for your views on this situation.

kamoe
European Union

Re: Travel after application submitted to replace BRC to a UK one

Post by kamoe » Sun May 23, 2021 9:55 am

staceyby wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 11:12 pm

My concern is whether there might be a problem for me coming back in a week's time with the BRC (EEA), while my application for its replacement is with the UKVI?
It is my understanding that now EEA RC can be used until their expiration date as usual. See this post.
Is there a way to withdraw the application?
You don't need to, you can travel whilst your EUSS application is in progress, and as said above, your EEA RC is still valid.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

staceyby
Newly Registered
Belarus

Post by staceyby » Sun May 23, 2021 10:22 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:55 am
staceyby wrote:

It is my understanding that now EEA RC can be used until their expiration date as usual. See this post.
You don't need to, you can travel whilst your EUSS application is in progress, and as said above, your EEA RC is still valid.
Thank you very much kamoe.

My worry in this case is, although highly unlikely, what happens if my application is processed while I am outside the UK. Is there a risk that my current card can be invalidated if the application for a new one approved during my trip?

Thank you.

Bazinga_
United Kingdom

Post by Bazinga_ » Sun May 23, 2021 11:09 pm

staceyby wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:22 pm
kamoe wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:55 am
staceyby wrote:

Thank you very much kamoe.

My worry in this case is, although highly unlikely, what happens if my application is processed while I am outside the UK. Is there a risk that my current card can be invalidated if the application for a new one approved during my trip?

Thank you.
That is the worry because as soon as they issue a card, they invalidate the old one. That is what was said in my decision letter. “ You are advised not to make any travel arrangements until you have received your replacement BRC.”

That is the worry that you will get back and the border agents would be funny with you.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Mon May 24, 2021 10:23 am

Bazinga_ wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:09 pm
That is the worry because as soon as they issue a card, they invalidate the old one. That is what was said in my decision letter. “ You are advised not to make any travel arrangements until you have received your replacement BRC.”

That is the worry that you will get back and the border agents would be funny with you.
Of course, best approach is to no travel at all; but if you do need to travel for reasons beyond your control, for compassionate reasons, for example... there are priorities! In these extreme circumstances people should not feel that they have no choice. There are options if one absolutely needs to travel.

The issue with travelling without a the EUSS card are basically two:

1. Airline staff that won't accept electronic status to let you in the plane.

This is not an issue if you actually have a physical EEA RC with a future expiration date (post June 30th or not). Airline staff want to see a document, period. If its expiration date says October 2023, then for them that's the valid expiration date. I would be surprised if airline staff have kept up to date with all of the Home Office changing their minds about EEA RCs expiration dates lately, and also... the printed date is now officially what's accepted.

Now, regarding the event of EEA RC card being invalidated when the EUSS is issued, airline staff have absolutely no way to know if you have been issued a new card and that your old card is invalid. They can't see this, they check documents physically, not through the UK border systems.

2. UK border control won't accept invalid residence cards.

But this is actually only an issue if you have no electronic status. At UK border control they can see your card is invalid but they can also see you have electronic Pre-Settled or Settled status, and regardless of you having an invalid EEA RC card or not, they should let you in.

If at all someone feels unease about the reassurances above, there is always the recourse of the EUSS Family Permit, which is there precisely to ensure a smooth entry in the UK, and for which you can apply from abroad.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue May 25, 2021 8:21 am

kamoe wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:23 am
At UK border control they can see your card is invalid but they can also see you have electronic Pre-Settled or Settled status.
One thing to keep in mind though, is that this might not work if they immediately "detach" your status from the original EEA RC you used to apply and transfer it to the new EUSS card. Would be alright if the status is kept attached to both cards. I am running this experiment to find out.

Bazinga_
United Kingdom

Post by Bazinga_ » Tue May 25, 2021 12:26 pm

kamoe wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:21 am
kamoe wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:23 am
At UK border control they can see your card is invalid but they can also see you have electronic Pre-Settled or Settled status.
One thing to keep in mind though, is that this might not work if they immediately "detach" your status from the original EEA RC you used to apply and transfer it to the new EUSS card. Would be alright if the status is kept attached to both cards. I am running this experiment to find out.
That is precisely how I understand it and alluded to in my post above.

I don’t see why they would keep both active or give a grace period even though I have had it with bank cards before but not before I activated the new card which in this sense isn’t possible. They clearly used the word ‘cancelled’ and ‘no longer valid to use’. Whether it’s meant digitally or physically to a border agent is another matter.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue May 25, 2021 12:54 pm

Bazinga_ wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 12:26 pm
That is precisely how I understand it and alluded to in my post above.
Yeap, gotcha.
I don’t see why they would keep both active or give a grace period even though I have had it with bank cards before but not before I activated the new card which in this sense isn’t possible. They clearly used the word ‘cancelled’ and ‘no longer valid to use’. Whether it’s meant digitally or physically to a border agent is another matter.
I guess we'll see. As soon as I receive notification that my EUSS card has been issued, I'll check on the site to verify if my old EEA RC is still valid.

And as soon as I receive the new card, I'll repeat the process.

I'll report results when possible.

MYRA4U
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MYRA4U » Thu May 27, 2021 12:19 pm

Hi Kamoe,

Please help me clarify this please.
I replaced my BRC to UK card few months ago, and i received the new card, with an email stating that my old BRC card is no longer valid and be returned.

Sadly i can only view my online status with the old BRC Card; which means they have not updated my Status with the New Uk Card.

I'm just finding out from a friend that i would have to request the update myself.
Please how can i update my online status with the New Uk Card, as its not yet updated.

Thanks Mate.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu May 27, 2021 1:15 pm

MYRA4U wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:19 pm

Please how can i update my online status with the New Uk Card, as its not yet updated.
Oh... No idea! I have not yet received my card, so never done it. I'm assuming they explain how to do this in the letter you receive with the new card?

MYRA4U
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MYRA4U » Thu May 27, 2021 1:50 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:15 pm
MYRA4U wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:19 pm

Oh... No idea! I have not yet received my card, so never done it. I'm assuming they explain how to do this in the letter you receive with the new card?

The letter didn't mention about the updates, it only says ''you did not provide your previous card in support of your application for a replacement Biometric Residence Card. Your previous card (R...........) has been cancelled and is no longer valid for use. You must return it as soon as possible to the above address, so that it can be securely destroyed[/b)''

I got this letter few weeks to my travel, i had to travel abroad with the two cards so possibly i could use it to prove my status returning back at the airport, since the new card cant prove my online status and no information about that.

The problem now is how can i transfer my Settled Status to the New Uk Card?.

I would be very grateful if anyone has any info.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu May 27, 2021 2:42 pm

MYRA4U wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:50 pm
I got this letter few weeks to my travel, i had to travel abroad with the two cards so possibly i could use it to prove my status returning back at the airport, since the new card cant prove my online status and no information about that.
You are actually the perfect subject to test the procedure above! Have you actually tried verifying your status on the website with your OLD card number, even if you now have a new one? Try it! Try it!

It would be really interesting to see if that still works even if they say your old card is now invalid. If that card still works, e.g. if it is still attached to your status and can verify it on the system, then that might save you at the UK border.

The problem now is how can i transfer my Settled Status to the New Uk Card?.

I would be very grateful if anyone has any info.
I'm sure one of the posters above can help you. Anyone?

In any case, yes, a good call if to just travel with both cards.