ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ilr for child

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Lobo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Ilr for child

Post by Lobo » Sun May 23, 2021 12:03 am

Hi, my friend has got settled status(Ilr) in uk. Partner has limited leave and child (under 18) born outside uk lived in uk for 10 years has dependent visa on my friend’s status. Is the child eligible to apply for Ilr based on 10 year long residency? Partner cannot make application along with the child as the he is not eligible to apply for Ilr yet. Would the HO refuse as both parents not having settled status?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Ilr for child

Post by CULLINAN » Sun May 23, 2021 1:16 am

The child can apply for ILR only when your friend’s partner is eligible and does apply for ILR also.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Lobo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Lobo » Sun May 23, 2021 9:02 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 1:16 am
The child can apply for ILR only when your friend’s partner is eligible and does apply for ILR also.
Thank you so much for your reply. Much appreciated.

Child will turn 18 before my friend’s partner becomes eligible for Ilr. Their biggest concern is, would the child be required to leave the country when his current visa expires? He will be over 18 when his current visa expires.

Once the child is 18, can he apply for Ilr under long residency (10 year) route on his own?

Thanks in advance.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun May 23, 2021 3:32 pm

What visa your friend’s partner has?
What visa is the child on?
How did your friend get ILR?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Lobo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Lobo » Sun May 23, 2021 7:47 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:32 pm
What visa your friend’s partner has? Limited leave to remain (30 months)
What visa is the child on? Pbs dependent tier 2
How did your friend get ILR? Pbs tier 2 general
Background history:
Partner moved to uk on students visa in 2010.
My friend and child joined him in 2011
All 3 of them got 2 years PSW until 2014
Friend went back to home country to apply for tier 2 general visa and entry cleared.
Partner and child applied as pbs dependents, which was refused in dec 2014 by HO due to toeic allegations as they’ve extended their student visa once (in 2011) using toeic.
Family moved their case to court. HO issued the child pbs dependent in November 2015, when the partner’s case was still going on.
Child has been on pbs dependent since 2015, by extending twice.
Friend got Ilr in dec 2019. Child’s recent pbs dependent was issued until aug 2023. By that time child will be over 18. As partner has limited leave, will not be eligible for Ilr for the next 10 years. Family is worried as they think child might have to move back to home country once the current visa expires. Child has lived in this country for 10 continuous years. Please advice. Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 23, 2021 7:50 pm

The child can only apply for 10 years long reaidenc rule if they have 10 years LEGAL residence, ie visas for the whole 10 years. It is not only about residence.

A PBS dependent who is still dependent on parents after age 18 can still apply for and extension or ilr when the other parent does.

Unclear why you believe the child would have to leave!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun May 23, 2021 8:33 pm

As long the child is not leading an independent life, child 18+ can simply extend the PBS dep visa after 2023 if need be. The child can apply ILR when the other parent qualifies for ILR also as @CR001 said.

Page 16 onwards:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... s-v1.0.pdf

Lobo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Lobo » Sun May 23, 2021 10:11 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:50 pm
The child can only apply for 10 years long reaidenc rule if they have 10 years LEGAL residence, ie visas for the whole 10 years. It is not only about residence.

A PBS dependent who is still dependent on parents after age 18 can still apply for and extension or ilr when the other parent does.

Unclear why you believe the child would have to leave!
Many thanks CR001. I raised that question about child leaving because we thought, once the child becomes 18, they are no longer dependent. It is very clear now. Your reply comes as a big relief for the family.

There is one more question: The child was refused visa for about 11 months, and then HO withdrew their stand and issued dep visa in Nov 2015. In between Aug 2014 and Nov 2015, HO either had an application for the child or the case was moved to the court. Will this not be considered as legal?

Lobo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Lobo » Sun May 23, 2021 10:12 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:33 pm
As long the child is not leading an independent life, child 18+ can simply extend the PBS dep visa after 2023 if need be. The child can apply ILR when the other parent qualifies for ILR also as @CR001 said.

Page 16 onwards:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... s-v1.0.pdf
Thanks very much for sharing the attachment. It is very clear now. Much appreciated.