ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP card expiring (ILR) before biometrics taken for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alrida79
Newly Registered
Mood:
Kazakhstan

BRP card expiring (ILR) before biometrics taken for citizenship

Post by alrida79 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:16 pm

Dear Experts and Forum members,

I have a question regarding our applications for UK citizenship.

I came to the UK in 2011 on a Tier 2 General basis, my daughter joined in one month as a PBS dependant. I have worked for 5 years and we both received ILR in June 2016. I received a 10-year BRP validity card, while my daughter's BRP was issued with 5 years validity and expiring on 13th June 2021. Is this linked to the 16th birthday earlier in the year?

Decided to go forward with applying for UK citizenship. Should have done it ages ago, must be time now.
Today I have submitted and paid for UK citizenship applications for both of us.
Unfortunately, the earliest availability for biometrics and document submission is 16th June 2021. Will this be an issue as the daughter's BRP card will be expired on that day?

Another question, will it be an issue if I didn't work for 2 years and claimed jobseekers allowance during 5 year period, but lived in the UK within acceptable time limits?

It will be great to hear your opinion and advice if any.

Many thanks and kindest regards,
Alrida79

alrida79
Newly Registered
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Re: BRP card expiring (ILR) before biometrics taken for citizenship

Post by alrida79 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:30 pm

Need to add another question - should I extend my daughter's BRP card just in case too?
I have got a filled form for BRP replacement which wasn't submitted, then decided to apply for citizenship.

Regarding my employment history, in my opinion, I have claimed jobseekers' benefits when I was entitled to it. Let me know if I am wrong. British citizenship FAQ says claiming benefits you are entitled to isn't a problem.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon May 24, 2021 2:51 pm

Will this be an issue as the daughter's BRP card will be expired on that day?

No

Another question, will it be an issue if I didn't work for 2 years and claimed jobseekers allowance during 5 year period, but lived in the UK within acceptable time limits?
No. Employment is not a criteria for AN. You just list all UK employment for the last 10 years (if any)
Need to add another question - should I extend my daughter's BRP card just in case too?
I have got a filled form for BRP replacement which wasn't submitted, then decided to apply for citizenship.

No issue. As long your daughter does not plan to travel, replacing BRP at this stage will be a waste as BRP needs to be returned after she is registered as British. But if she plans to travel, obviously will need to get it renewed.

Regarding my employment history, in my opinion, I have claimed jobseekers' benefits when I was entitled to it. Let me know if I am wrong. British citizenship FAQ says claiming benefits you are entitled to isn't a problem.
No issue as long you claimed when you were entitled to on ILR
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

alrida79
Newly Registered
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by alrida79 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:28 pm

Thank you very much CULLINAN, you have confirmed my understanding and assured me too.
I cannot make a change to employment history, only listed those during the last 5 years since receiving ILR.
Shall I add a letter explaining this and listing employment in the last 10 years?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon May 24, 2021 3:55 pm

alrida79 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:28 pm
Thank you very much CULLINAN, you have confirmed my understanding and assured me too.
I cannot make a change to employment history, only listed those during the last 5 years since receiving ILR.
Shall I add a letter explaining this and listing employment in the last 10 years?
The AN form asks to list UK employment history for last 10 years (if any). You can clarify in the cover letter and provide details for the remainder period. Upload with other documents before biometrics.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon May 24, 2021 4:05 pm

Also see overview of the process FYI only:
british-citizenship/steps-to-follow-aft ... 14359.html