ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How soon can partner of new BC apply for naturalisation?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sabe
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

How soon can partner of new BC apply for naturalisation?

Post by sabe » Tue May 25, 2021 11:12 pm

Hi, hoping someone can help me.

Just yesterday I've had my citizenship oathtaking and on process for passport application.
My husband holds ILR status since April this year via Tier 2. I understand that if one is married to a BC, as soon as ILR is granted, one can apply for naturalisation (Please correct if not right).

I just need confirmation that my husband is now eligible to apply for naturalisation as he is married to me - a BC.

Will it matter that I do not have a passport yet? Is it too soon for him to apply or is timeline irrelevant?

Thank you ☺

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: How soon can partner of new BC apply for naturalisation?

Post by CULLINAN » Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 pm

Your understanding is correct.

British passport is only a travel document. The proof you are British is the Naturalisation Certificate in your case.
Your husband can simply upload a copy of your certificate and can apply now, as long he meets all other AN requirements as per Section 6(2) BNA 1981.

Note your husband has 3 years residence requirements (not 5 years) and must be physically present in UK exactly at the start of the qualifying period from the date of application.

For example, if he applies on 27/5/2021, he must be in UK on 28/5/2018 plus meet other residence requirements also.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

sabe
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sabe » Wed May 26, 2021 10:04 am

Thank you for your information.

With regards to qualifying period, which date is considered: the date the application was submitted or the date when biometrics has been accepted.

Our case: if my husband applies today, he can prove that he was in the UK 27 May 2018. However, he was out of the UK 16 June 2018 to 13 July 2018.

The earliesrt available biometric appointment is on 22 June 2021. Will that affect the application or would you suggest to have an biometrics from 14 July 2021 onwards instead?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:24 am

The application date is the date you submit & pay for your online application - biometric appointment date is not relevant for determining residence period. There would be no issue with the absences.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

sabe
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sabe » Sat May 29, 2021 10:50 am

Thank you both for your advise!

Much appreciated :D