ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of abode (RoA) OR Certificate of Entitlement (CoE) on Indian Passport applying from outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kumar555
India

Right of abode (RoA) OR Certificate of Entitlement (CoE) on Indian Passport applying from outside UK

Post by Kumar555 » Sun May 30, 2021 6:57 am

Hello All,

I need to know if I can apply for Right of abode (RoA) OR Certificate of Entitlement (CoE) for my Child who is born in UK.

My Child (2 Yrs Old) is currently in India for last 4 Months and expecting "MN1 Naturalization Certificate" which was applied in UK before travelling to India.
Both Mother and Father hold ILR and Indian Passport.

Question -
Is My child eligible for RoA/CoA and Can I apply for RoA/CoE for my Child from India?
If Yes - What are the rough timelines
I am aware that my Child can directly apply for a British Passport in India but it looks that it can take up to 6 to 12 Months for British passport from Outside UK, Hence I am exploring options of RoA/CoA.

secret.simon

Re: Right of abode (RoA) OR Certificate of Entitlement (CoE) on Indian Passport applying from outside UK

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 30, 2021 6:17 pm

Logically no, because the child will have lost the right to an Indian passport when they were registered as a British citizen.

A CoE-RoA is affixed into a non-British passport of the person. If the child does not have the right to the passport, it may well be refused.

Children born with dual British/Indian citizenship (to a British parent and an Indian parent or to an Indian parent with ILR in the UK, for instance) can apply for a CoE-RoA in an Indian passport, as they have the right to both the CoE-RoA (being a British citizen) and to an Indian passport (being an Indian citizen).

Be aware that UK Home Office and British embassy/High Commission staff are themselves aware of the requirements of Indian nationality law.

The way I see it, there is now no alternative but a British passport for the child.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Kumar555
India

Re: Right of abode (RoA) OR Certificate of Entitlement (CoE) on Indian Passport applying from outside UK

Post by Kumar555 » Mon May 31, 2021 7:01 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 6:17 pm
Logically no, because the child will have lost the right to an Indian passport when they were registered as a British citizen.

A CoE-RoA is affixed into a non-British passport of the person. If the child does not have the right to the passport, it may well be refused.

Children born with dual British/Indian citizenship (to a British parent and an Indian parent or to an Indian parent with ILR in the UK, for instance) can apply for a CoE-RoA in an Indian passport, as they have the right to both the CoE-RoA (being a British citizen) and to an Indian passport (being an Indian citizen).

Be aware that UK Home Office and British embassy/High Commission staff are themselves aware of the requirements of Indian nationality law.

The way I see it, there is now no alternative but a British passport for the child.
Thanks a lot for you comments, This really makes sense and a very good explanation.

One More Question - Do you think I can apply for British passport from UK (As I am in UK) but my child is still in India, This is just to beat the Timelines to get an British Passport from India.