ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Now what?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jenjen284
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Now what?

Post by jenjen284 » Sun May 30, 2021 6:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

My husband's switch from a fiance visa to a spouse visa has FINALLY been approved - yay!

However, we now face the daunting prospect of....now what?!

I was just wondering if anyone had any insights to share as to what important things we may be overlooking that we should really be sorting out?

We are still waiting on his BRP card to arrive. I assume we should wait for him to receive this before he applies for jobs? Will we also need to sort out a NI number before he can apply?

Sorry, these probably seem really obvious questions...

TIA :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Now what?

Post by CR001 » Sun May 30, 2021 6:46 pm

I was just wondering if anyone had any insights to share as to what important things we may be overlooking that we should really be sorting out?
Start by adding him to bills etc. For his visa renewal in 2.5 years time, you have to submit evidence of cohabitation in both your names from 3 to 6 difference sources for 2 years preceding the date of applying for an extension.
We are still waiting on his BRP card to arrive. I assume we should wait for him to receive this before he applies for jobs? Will we also need to sort out a NI number before he can apply?
Yes as his brp is his proof of right to work. He can apply for NI once he has his brp but he can work before he gets the NI number.

He can register with a go once he has his brp card as well as open a bank account etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jenjen284
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jenjen284 » Sun May 30, 2021 6:53 pm

Thank you - we are currently living with my parents (I saw we will need a letter from them to cover the period of time we stayed with them when we come to reapply) but will make sure we cover both names on bills when we move out (hopefully soon now he can look for work!).

Will get him signed up at the GP! Do we have to provide a reference number in relation to the IHS we paid?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 30, 2021 6:55 pm

Do we have to provide a reference number in relation to the IHS we paid?
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 30, 2021 9:14 pm

Also see this thread on helping a foreign spouse culturally acclimatise to the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.