ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can you settle in another country and come back to the UK within 2 years?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blueandred
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Can you settle in another country and come back to the UK within 2 years?

Post by blueandred » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:53 am

I have a question regarding the 2 year period that you are allowed to stay outside of the UK, and maintain your ILR status.

Can you move out of the UK, register as 'settled' in a different country (EU), work there etc.?
So by that I mean you'd notify HMRC that you are moving out of the UK, you won't have an address in the UK anymore etc.

And would you still be allowed in, with your ILR, in case within 2 years you decide to come back and settle in the UK?

In other words, would settling in another EU country, not cancel your ILR automatically?

Thank you for your help!

secret.simon

Re: Can you settle in another country and come back to the UK within 2 years?

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:22 am

Is the question about Settled Status/ILR under Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules or about ILR under other parts of the Immigration Rules?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

blueandred
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by blueandred » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:28 am

Yes, under "Settled Status/ILR under Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules"

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:29 am

The 24 month restriction does not apply to people who got ILR status under the EU settlement scheme. You get 5 years
You can continue to live in the UK without applying to the EU Settlement Scheme if you have indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK. However, if you choose to apply (and meet all the other conditions), you’ll get ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’ - also known as settled status.

This means you should be able to spend up to 5 years in a row outside the UK without losing your settled status (instead of 2 years with the indefinite leave to enter or remain you have now).
https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... -to-remain
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Contd
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by Contd » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:20 am

blueandred wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:53 am
I have a question regarding the 2 year period that you are allowed to stay outside of the UK, and maintain your ILR status.

Can you move out of the UK, register as 'settled' in a different country (EU), work there etc.?
So by that I mean you'd notify HMRC that you are moving out of the UK, you won't have an address in the UK anymore etc.

And would you still be allowed in, with your ILR, in case within 2 years you decide to come back and settle in the UK?

In other words, would settling in another EU country, not cancel your ILR automatically?

Thank you for your help!
I don't think its advisable as it will be difficult to prove your continuous stay when you want to naturalise