ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ideas on how to get proof of address

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ThatsHallFolks
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Ideas on how to get proof of address

Post by ThatsHallFolks » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:16 pm

Hi Everyone
My wife came from India to the UK on a spouse visa
In Jan 2022 the first 2.5 year visa will be up and she will have to apply for the next 2.5 year visa

Out visa expert tells us we need as much proof as possible of her living here at our address

So I am trying to get her a bank account or named on some utility bills and so on

But I have run into a conundrum

In order to get a bank account she needs proof of address from utility bills

in order to get her named on some utility bills she needs to have a bank account - for instance I tried to get a landline under her name through BT but the last question said she must agree to a credit check - but since her name will not be on any credit reports in the UK they will turn her down

I am assuming I will run into problems like this with other utilities - electric - TV - etc

Has anyone been down this road and figured out how to get around this puzzle

Many thanks in advance

mavaas11
United Kingdom

Re: Ideas on how to get proof of address

Post by mavaas11 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Hey Buddy,

With my spouse coming in Nov 2020, First my dad was with British gas, so we got my wife added just provided dob and name and they added her. Then we applied for Lloyds bank joint account i already have one they rejected. I believe it was to do with her identity i.e. she wasn't on local council electoral roll. So we applied for her national insurance number and then applied for her to be on the electoral roll which she was put on in March 2021.

In Dec 2020 we also applied for a provisional licence easier to do if you have a national insurance number, otherwise you will have to send in brp.

Then in April 2021 we applied online for nationwide joint account me and my wife and we were accepted.
Then April 2021 we applied American express credit card also accepted.

Then you will also be better do register with Experian, Equifax, Transunion so see your spouses / your credit score and when its good apply for bank accounts.

ThatsHallFolks
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ThatsHallFolks » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:23 am

Hi Maavas11
Thanks for replying - very helpful :-)

Edwardo
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Edwardo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:21 pm

It is very easy to get her added to the utility bill - a simple request from you to add her is enough.

Your worry here is when applying for FLR ( as we are right now) they ask for proof of address over the last 2 years and it appears you have nothing from when she arrived until now?

You should rush now to get her on the utility bills and bank accounts as it appears you will only be giving 6 months 'proof' and well, that could be a problem.

I would check with your solicitor if this is enough or if you should try to explain the lack of 18 months paper trail in a covering letter.

You did not put her on the council tax when she arrived? Register with a GP? (These two are powerful documents to have)