ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Discretionary leave to remain route to citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Rukayat74
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Discretionary leave to remain route to citizenship

Post by Rukayat74 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:46 am

Hello Forum members and coordinators,

Am new on this forum and I have been a follower for years, which I found very helpful for migrant in the country. `I have few questions to ask regarding my application please and I would be very grateful if I could get some helpful members etc to shed more light to my worries,

I was granted indefinite leave to remain after 6 years of discretionary leave to remainin Uk, when I applied for my indefinite leave in 2019, I remembered vividly that <proof of the absent in Uk> does not apply to applicants under discretionary leave route. My questions are; as am about to apply for my naturalization, does the absent in uk applies to me? secondly, i am overstayer and had also worked illegally in the country prior to my first indefinite leave in 2013, do i need to wait till 2013 <10 years legally resided> in uk or can i apply for my naturalization now? lastly, should in case i would need to tell my time of absent in uk, how can i calculate this as i had lost my old international passport that shows stamps travelling in and out the country and i do not have most of my travelling reservations to calculate this either?

Kind Regard as you reply me

K187

Re: Discretionary leave to remain route to citizenship

Post by K187 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:53 am

I would wait till 2023 then apply.

Rukayat74
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Rukayat74 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:03 am

K187 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:53 am

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I would be glad if you could answer the remaining 2 questions pls. Thanks

Rukayat74
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Rukayat74 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:03 am

K187 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:53 am

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I would be glad if you could answer the remaining 2 questions pls. Thanks

Rukayat74
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Rukayat74 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:07 am

Rukayat74 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:46 am

Am new on this forum and I have been a follower for years, which I found very helpful for migrant in the country. `I have few questions to ask regarding my application please and I would be very grateful if I could get some helpful members etc to shed more light to my worries,

I was granted indefinite leave to remain after 6 years of discretionary leave to remainin Uk, when I applied for my indefinite leave in 2019, I remembered vividly that <proof of the absent in Uk> does not apply to applicants under discretionary leave route. My questions are; as am about to apply for my naturalization, does the absent in uk applies to me? secondly, i am overstayer and had also worked illegally in the country prior to my first indefinite leave in 2013, do i need to wait till 2023 <10 years legally resided> in uk or can i apply for my naturalization now? lastly, should in case i would need to tell my time of absent in uk, how can i calculate this as i had lost my old international passport that shows stamps travelling in and out the country and i do not have most of my travelling reservations to calculate this either?

Rukayat74
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Rukayat74 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:33 am

Rukayat74 wrote:

I was granted indefinite leave to remain after 6 years of discretionary leave to remainin Uk, when I applied for my indefinite leave in 2019, I remembered vividly that <proof of the absent in Uk> does not apply to applicants under discretionary leave route. My questions are; as am about to apply for my naturalization, does the absent in uk applies to me? secondly, i am overstayer and had also worked illegally in the country prior to my first indefinite leave in 2013, do i need to wait till 2023 <10 years legally resided> in uk or can i apply for my naturalization now? lastly, should in case i would need to tell my time of absent in uk, how can i calculate this as i had lost my old international passport that shows stamps travelling in and out the country and i do not have most of my travelling reservations to calculate this either?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:33 am

Naturalisation is not a part of the immigration pathway, which ends at ILR.

Naturalisation has its own laws, rules and requirements, which apply to all applicants irregardless of how they acquired ILR.
Rukayat74 wrote:
as am about to apply for my naturalization, does the absent in uk applies to me?
Yes. The absence and more importantly, the physical presence in the UK five years before the date of application requirements apply to all applicants who are not married to a British citizen.
Rukayat74 wrote:
i am overstayer and had also worked illegally in the country prior to my first indefinite leave in 2013, do i need to wait till 2013 <10 years legally resided> in uk or can i apply for my naturalization now?
I would suggest waiting till 2023.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Rukayat74
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Rukayat74 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:45 am

Thank You for the swift reply. Moreover, is there any other way to acquire the dates of absent in the country apart of checking it in our international passport and travelling bookings? As stated above, i have lost my international passport whose contain my travelling stamps "in and out the country".

Thank You

icebat
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by icebat » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:16 am

Yes, there is a way. Visit the link below to see the procedure to request the information about your entries and exits from UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration