ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Emergency travel !!

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Indobrit1123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Emergency travel !!

Post by Indobrit1123 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently received my British passport and I need to travel to India on an emergency. I have both Indian and British passport but don’t have an OCI or Indian VISA.
What are my options to travel?

1. can I travel on my Indian passport while going to India and come back on my British passport?
2. can I apply for my visit visa ? I heard e visas are cancelled but I can see appointment are available for visas?
3. If we can’t apply for visit visa is there any other visa option available ?

I am not getting appointments for passport surrender and OCI so that’s out of question as I need to travel urgently.

Please can you tell me the options ?

Thanks for all the advice!

secret.simon

Re: Emergency travel !!

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:27 pm

Really more of a question for the "Other Countries" forum as it is more about Indian immigration requirements and moved accordingly.

The UK has no issue with you travelling on your other passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:11 pm

Indobrit1123 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:22 pm
Hi everyone,

I recently received my British passport and I need to travel to India on an emergency. I have both Indian and British passport but don’t have an OCI or Indian VISA.
What are my options to travel?

1. can I travel on my Indian passport while going to India and come back on my British passport?
2. can I apply for my visit visa ? I heard e visas are cancelled but I can see appointment are available for visas?
3. If we can’t apply for visit visa is there any other visa option available ?

I am not getting appointments for passport surrender and OCI so that’s out of question as I need to travel urgently.

Please can you tell me the options ?

Thanks for all the advice!
Hi

Once you acquire foreign citizenship you can travel within a grace period of 3 months from date of becoming citizen provided you have not got the foreign passport. Once you have a foreign passport, you cannot travel on Indian passport even in grace period.

I know of somebody who called up HCI and was asked to send email to an ID with the proof of emergency and was issued emergency visa. The Emergency that usually constitutes as urgent in nature are death in family (blood relatives) and/or serious ailments along with documentary evidence. No other conditions are usually considered as emergency.
I would suggest, please call up HCI (they have emergency numbers and email IDs on their website).

Hope this helps.

katanayi
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by katanayi » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:59 am

Once you obtained british passport, you have either apply EVisa or ready to pay fine when you apply for surrendering indian paspport.

They dont consider any emergencies even death in family. This is my experience, my wife has to pay panality due emergency travel after death in family.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:54 am

katanayi wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:59 am
Once you obtained british passport, you have either apply EVisa or ready to pay fine when you apply for surrendering indian paspport.

They dont consider any emergencies even death in family. This is my experience, my wife has to pay panality due emergency travel after death in family.
It is mentioned in HCI website about the grace period of using Indian Passport and rules around it. Any use after acquiring British passport is not allowed. It is also mentioned that GoI no longer issues monetary fines for using Indian passport beyond grace period, although it is not clear how the penalty is levied.

I know of a family who did travel to India during this pandemic after demise in their family on an emergency visa after getting their British Passport (both of Indian Origin)

sams4u29
India

Post by sams4u29 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:56 am

[quote=katanayi post_id=2020650 time=1626073185 user_id=42137]

[/quote]

Were you saying that your wife travelled on Indian Passport (after getting British Passport) and she had to Pay fine- If Yes how much fine was she asked to Pay?

katanayi
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by katanayi » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:00 pm

Were you saying that your wife travelled on Indian Passport (after getting British Passport) and she had to Pay fine- If Yes how much fine was she asked to Pay?[/quot]

It was about 163 gbp(not remember exact amount, this was in 2019). They wont proccess your surrender certificate untill you pay.

It is very clear on VFS site, even we misunderstood intially. Once you aquire british passport, grace period gets invalid.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:30 am

katanayi wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:00 pm
Were you saying that your wife travelled on Indian Passport (after getting British Passport) and she had to Pay fine- If Yes how much fine was she asked to Pay?[/quot]

It was about 163 gbp(not remember exact amount, this was in 2019). They wont proccess your surrender certificate untill you pay.

It is very clear on VFS site, even we misunderstood intially. Once you aquire british passport, grace period gets invalid.
Hi

Please refer to this link of HCI London (it is official and supersedes all information provided by VFS as this is from GoI)

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/surre ... -passport/

Refer to Questions:
1. Can I use my Indian Passport to travel after naturalisation?
2. How much is the penalty for misusing Indian Passport.

It's all mentioned clearly.

Thanks

sams4u29
India

Post by sams4u29 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:25 am

Many Thanks for the reply