ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR absence; 450days or 2years?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

craig_m67
Newly Registered

ILR absence; 450days or 2years?

Post by craig_m67 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:45 am

We’re considering moving back to Australia for a short period after the tragic loss of Jemima our very gorgeous 3yr old daughter (for a service, to be with family, clear our heads etc). Before we go I’d like clarification of the rules/conditions around ILR when/should we decide to return (very likely).

I am British citizen by descent. We all arrived in the UK in June 06, my partner (and Jemima) on a sponsored (to acc partner/spouse?) visa. They were both granted ILR in June 08.
It’s not clear to me (from the HO website) if my partners ILR will lapse after 2 years absence or 450 days.
Can anybody confirm how long you can be out (non resident) of the country before losing your ILR?

Also, I understand that married partners only wait 3years (as opposed to 5years for sinners). If we whipped off and got married, would residency be calculated from the arrival date (Jun 06) or from the date of marriage? (highly unlikely scenario given current situation but just wondered).

Thanks in advance

Craig

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Currently, ILR may lapse after two years.

See also Requirements for naturalisation if you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen (Start of the residential qualifying period)
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.