ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR on Work Permit - How to confirm a visa break/gap?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kcs123
Newly Registered

ILR on Work Permit - How to confirm a visa break/gap?

Post by kcs123 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:13 am

Hi All,

I was about to apply for my ILR based on 5 yrs of Work Permit this week untill I came across this forum and found that I too have the dreaded visa break/gap?

I have entered UK on 22nd Nov 2003 and below are the details of my dates as stamped on the passport.

Serial No-------Visa Issued Date-------Visa Issued Until-------Employer
================================================================
1)--------------17-Nov-2003--------------09-May-2004--------------X
2)--------------19-May-2004--------------10-May-2005--------------X
3)--------------22-Dec-2004--------------29-Nov-2007--------------Y
4)--------------06-Sep-2007--------------29-Nov-2009--------------Y

As you can see I have only 10 days visa break between 09-May-2004 and 19-May 2004, however I am 100% confident that my employer on that occassion has sent my application for work permit extension (FLR) on time before it expired on 09-May-2004.

To prove this I have a copy of the approval letter sent by Home Office Work Permits department that my employers request to extended my visa was granted by 12 months and the date on the letter is 10-May-2004 which is 1 day more than 09-May-2004.

That proves that Home Office must have received my employers application request atleast a day before my visa expired on 09-May-2003.

I have also requested for my SAR file from Home office today so hopefully I will get the actual dates Home Office received all my applications and I can use it as another proof as well in my ILR application.

Can you please advise what should I do....

1) Should I go ahead and file my ILR as my case looks easy? If yes should I file through Postal or go to Croydon PEO?

or

2) Should I wait for 6 more months before I am properly eligible for ILR based on 5 yrs of Work Permit from 19-May-2004?

or

3) Should I wait for my SAR to be sent from Home Office and then verify the SAR if everything is right and then apply for ILR either through POST or PEO?

Thanks a lot to all members who have been contributing to this forum and helping people like me.

Cheers,
KC

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:42 am

As you can see I have only 10 days visa break between 09-May-2004 and 19-May 2004, however I am 100% confident that my employer on that occassion has sent my application for work permit extension (FLR) on time before it expired on 09-May-2004.

To prove this I have a copy of the approval letter sent by Home Office Work Permits department that my employers request to extended my visa was granted by 12 months and the date on the letter is 10-May-2004 which is 1 day more than 09-May-2004.
From the above information it seems that you should be fine. I remember back in 2004 home office used to take a long time to process application, which often resulted in a gap in visa dates, which in real sense might not a gap in ones continuous stay.
Having said that the only way to prove it is if you (or your employer) has retained the postal delivery proof if the application was then posted using special delivery.
In the absence of above your only bet is to request your SAR file (Subject Access Request), which hopfully will show you all the relevant information you are looking for. Please search on this site for SAR and you will able to find how to apply for one.

kcs123
Newly Registered

Post by kcs123 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:59 am

dnicky wrote: From the above information it seems that you should be fine. I remember back in 2004 home office used to take a long time to process application, which often resulted in a gap in visa dates, which in real sense might not a gap in ones continuous stay.
Having said that the only way to prove it is if you (or your employer) has retained the postal delivery proof if the application was then posted using special delivery.
In the absence of above your only bet is to request your SAR file (Subject Access Request), which hopfully will show you all the relevant information you are looking for. Please search on this site for SAR and you will able to find how to apply for one.
Hi dnicky,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Other than the Home office document which granted my application for extension of 12 months dated 10-May-2004, Unfortunately I dont have solid proof that the request was sent before visa expired (09-May-2004).

However I have applied for SAR file (Subject Access Request) yesterday and waiting for it to arrive.

Cant I use the Home office document dated 10-May-2004 be used prove that the application was sent before the 1st visa expired (09-May-2004).

Cheers,
KC

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Not quite sure. You better wait for your SAR file and see for yourself.

kcs123
Newly Registered

Post by kcs123 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:04 pm

dnicky wrote:Not quite sure. You better wait for your SAR file and see for yourself.
Thanks a lot dnicky!

I will wait for the SAR file to arrive. I hope the SAR file has all the dates, importantly the application received dates by the Home Office.

Cheers,
KC

saurya_s

Post by saurya_s » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:46 am

Can somebody explain what is SAR file, its use and where can I get as I am thinking of applying for ILR based on 10 years of residency.
Many thanks
S

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:38 am

Can somebody explain what is SAR file, its use and where can I get as I am thinking of applying for ILR based on 10 years of residency.
A bit of a search on this site will answer all your queries.