ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visiting the UK with EU spouse on EU fam 4- RC

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MAKUSA
BANNED

Visiting the UK with EU spouse on EU fam 4- RC

Post by MAKUSA » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:58 pm

When visiting the UK for a 6 day visit, is one protected by the Directive 2004/38/EC. Because its a visit and the EU spouse is not seeking to move there, would applications or requirements be classed under national or EU laws.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: Visiting the UK with EU spouse on EU fam 4- RC

Post by Plum70 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:06 pm

First-Class Moron wrote:When visiting the UK for a 6 day visit, is one protected by the Directive 2004/38/EC. Because its a visit and the EU spouse is not seeking to move there, would applications or requirements be classed under national or EU laws.
The EU citizen can enter the UK w/out need for entry clearance. However, the non-EU spouse would need to apply for a EEA Family permit from the BHC in their country of residence (irrespective of any EEA residence documentation held, unless it's a United Kingdom Residence Documentation) before accompanying the EU national to the UK.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:55 pm

If you are in possession of a residence card for a family member issued by any EEA state the directive says no short-stay visa is needed. The part about the residence card needing to be from the UK is the UK's own invention. There are may discussions here relating to this:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=29723
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=31673
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=27612
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15545
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=31531
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=18379
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Richard66 wrote:If you are in possession of a residence card for a family member issued by any EEA state the directive says no short-stay visa is needed. The part about the residence card needing to be from the UK is the UK's own invention.
It is indeed the UK's own interpretation of the EU Directive, however it does not change the fact that in practice his non-EEA spouse may have a hard time entering the UK if not in possession of a EEA family permit as required by the UKBA.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Yes maybe u r right plumj but its stupidity and foolishness and its so annoying UK is breaking the law and nothing is being done by the EU and so many families are affected by there problems now.

Well this will be my last option ..Going with my card and passport if I dont get an anwser in 2 weeks or an EEA permit.
Charles4u

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:02 pm

It is indeed the UK's own interpretation of the EU Directive, however it does not change the fact that in practice his non-EEA spouse may have a hard time entering the UK if not in possession of a EEA family permit as required by the UKBA.
I know, Plum, but our aim is to get things changed, to make people aware of their rights and duties, not just to take it sitting down like so many sheep, which is what the UK Border Agency wants.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:43 pm

I know, Plum, but our aim is to get things changed, to make people aware of their rights and duties, not just to take it sitting down like so many sheep, which is what the UK Border Agency wants.
I am all for challenging injustice which is why i'm leading a petition similar to this issue on an other forum. However, we know that change is not achieved by the wave of the wand and in the interim there will be a few 'victims'. It is not just the UK stubbornly resisting the complete implementation of the EU Directive; France and Spain amongst others (only just recently changed) insist that non-EEA family members in possession of a UK Residence Card still apply for a schengen visa before travel...

Has anyone heard of a non-EEA fam. member in possession of a Residence Card of a EEA member state successfully entering the UK without a EEA Family permit. If so, then it would be interesting to know what transpired at the UK borders.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:30 am

I don't know if I'm understanding this correctly, but I think that even according to the UK's own law people arriving to the UK who are married to an EEA-citizen should be admitted, no matter if an EEA-permit is present or not:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary
Before an Immigration Officer refuses admission to a non-EEA national under Regulation 11(2) because s/he does not produce an EEA family permit, the IO must give the non-EEA national reasonable opportunity to provide by other means proof that he/she is a family member of an EEA national with a right to accompany that national or join him/her in the UK.
Thus, if you manage to get into the plane (often possible through online-checkin, but be aware of the procedures) it may be possible to pass the immigration-hurdle...

...however, I have no practical experience with this...

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:10 am

Well I havent heard either of someone not in possession of the EEA permit and entered the UK successfully, It might be possible but the main problem coms from the airline checkings cus they will always wanna comfirm and any comfirmation they make will result to visa-required.

But I will definately try this if I dont get an anwser b4 friday as I have waited now and it gonna be 4 weeks by next friday that I have being waitting for there anwser concerning my EEA application and no response yet. SO guys maybe I might be the first to go with this card and my passport and tell my wife to wait for me at the airport cus am sure there will be PROBLEM and DELAY.
Charles4u

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:28 am

But I will definately try this if I dont get an anwser b4 friday as I have waited now and it gonna be 4 weeks by next friday that I have being waitting for there anwser concerning my EEA application and no response yet. SO guys maybe I might be the first to go with this card and my passport and tell my wife to wait for me at the airport cus am sure there will be PROBLEM and DELAY.
Do let us know how you get on Charles

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Good, Plum! Maybe we can sign your petition too?

My position is that people should be informed what their rights are, before telling them what the reality is. This certainly is the position of the forum in Italy of which I am a member, http://www.tuttostranieri.it/forum.

I believe Member Prawo managed to make his in-laws enter the UK without the EEA FP. I remember reading about it in this forum.

I have written guarantees from the entry clearance officer in Rome that once at the border entry will not be denied. I believe such a letter might make an airline think twice before denying boarding.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:41 am

Wow this is nice and encouraging, So well as I said earlier I will wait till friday this week if they will call me from the british embassy and if not surely am buying my ticket by monday or tuesday and fly immidiately..Guys wish me best of luck and lets see how its all gonna go...till then .
Charles4u

MAKUSA
BANNED

Dont

Post by MAKUSA » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:43 pm

charles4u wrote:Wow this is nice and encouraging, So well as I said earlier I will wait till friday this week if they will call me from the british embassy and if not surely am buying my ticket by monday or tuesday and fly immidiately..Guys wish me best of luck and lets see how its all gonna go...till then .
Go via belfast. You might have problems boarding from the airlines.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Re: Dont

Post by charles4u » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:04 pm

[quote="MAKUSAGo via belfast. You might have problems boarding from the airlines.[/quote]

Well I thought of going tru WIZZAIR as it is very cheap for me and also less immigration problems cus they r new airline company looking for customers...
Charles4u

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:19 pm

["Richard66"]Good, Plum! Maybe we can sign your petition too?
Thanks Richard. My petition is to do with the inaccurate implementation of the EU Directive wrt the UKBA's delayed issuing of residence cards to non-EEA family members. You will find the details in this thread i'm leading: http://www.ukresident.com/forums/index. ... opic=70485

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:31 am

I hope something positive is done as soon as possible on this issue of UK using permits.
Charles4u

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:29 am

Hello everyone, I have just recieved another acknowledgement from the Secretary General of the EU Belgium today and this is what it says as I am unable to put the format here, I hope something is done as soon as possible.

8195-ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RECEIPT-EUROPEAN COMMISSION

Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:30 AM
From: "SG-COURRIER-DE-LA-COMMISSION@ec.europa.eu" <SG-COURRIER-DE-LA-COMMISSION@ec.europa.eu>

EUROPEAN COMMISSION
SECRETARY-GENERAL
Directorate R (SG-R-2)

I sent again a complain on the same issue the EEA permit and with proves from UKBORDER and embassy sites saying visa is needed for EU family members and also from other EU member state embassies saying visa is not needed for family members and also telling them UK and IRELAND should be wildrawn from EU if they can obey the law as its affecting family members alot. But this time I sent to the Secretary General of the EU and it as been registered under Reference SG/CDC(2008)A/8195.

It says I belong to the Category of policies according to my complain.

JUSTICE, FREEDOM AND SECURITY.

Lets see what happens next guys.......
Charles4u

alienated

Post by alienated » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:07 pm

Is there any update to this?

Next year I, a British Citizen, will be move to live and reside on European soil (France, from Morocco) with my Moroccan wife. With no intention to reside in the UK, l will still wish to frequently visit however I am dismayed at all I see with regard to this subject. Although we did successfully visit the UK together last year from Morocco, it was not without the seemingly standard refusal, cloaked insults, and the ensuing battle to overturn the refusal on appeal (actually they 'changed their mind' after 10 weeks). I cannot believe, if I am right in my interpretation, that for at least several (5+?) years as european/french residents we will have to periodically amass a dossier of paperwork and pay £xxx's for her to obtain the 'right' to hop over the channel with me.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:04 pm

alienated wrote:I cannot believe, if I am right in my interpretation, that for at least several (5+?) years as european/french residents we will have to periodically amass a dossier of paperwork and pay £xxx's for her to obtain the 'right' to hop over the channel with me.
I write this with the assumption that you will exercise Treaty rights when you and your wife move to France.

At worst, your wife would have to obtain an EEA Family Permit (a visa-type document) from the British consulate in Paris, in order to accompany you to the UK. The EEA FP is free.

At best, and especially in recent times (see also First-Class Moron's post here), she may be able to travel with you, possessing her passport and French Resident Card only (sans EEA FP).

alienated

Post by alienated » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:31 am

benifa wrote:I write this with the assumption that you will exercise Treaty rights when you and your wife move to France.
Yes
benifa wrote:At worst, your wife would have to obtain an EEA Family Permit (a visa-type document) from the British consulate in Paris, in order to accompany you to the UK. The EEA FP is free.
I thought the EEA FP only applies if I am a non-UK EU national resident or going to be resident in the UK. Even if pursued the Surender Singh route, I thought this permit does not apply for short-stay/non resident visits?
benifa wrote:At best, and especially in recent times (see also First-Class Moron's post here), she may be able to travel with you, possessing her passport and French Resident Card only (sans EEA FP).
Let's hope so. It appears that it is greatly in the hands of check-in staff - is there any log of success/failures concerning this? Eurostar from Paris to London, for example?

Merci bcp.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:28 am

alienated wrote:
benifa wrote:I write this with the assumption that you will exercise Treaty rights when you and your wife move to France.
Yes
benifa wrote:At worst, your wife would have to obtain an EEA Family Permit (a visa-type document) from the British consulate in Paris, in order to accompany you to the UK. The EEA FP is free.
I thought the EEA FP only applies if I am a non-UK EU national resident or going to be resident in the UK. Even if pursued the Surender Singh route, I thought this permit does not apply for short-stay/non resident visits?
benifa wrote:At best, and especially in recent times (see also First-Class Moron's post here), she may be able to travel with you, possessing her passport and French Resident Card only (sans EEA FP).
Let's hope so. It appears that it is greatly in the hands of check-in staff - is there any log of success/failures concerning this? Eurostar from Paris to London, for example?

Merci bcp.
UK requires the EEA family permit even if you and your EU spouse are visiting the UK for just 2 days, so far you will cross the border into the UK then a visa is needed...

Lets just see the new amendment the UK will make on this issue.
Charles4u