ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

again about work experience as a researcher

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

postgrad
Newly Registered

again about work experience as a researcher

Post by postgrad » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:09 am

hi guys,
i'm the same desparate postgrad, trying to decide whether to apply for hsmp before 1st of April's fee increase or not. Some of you have been very helpful with advice, so thanks a lot for that.

so my problem is: I am doing phd in the uk university. Can I claim 3years of research as work experience? Obviosly the condition of employing me and paying me the scholarship was that I should have a Master's degree (I have a 1st class honours and a Masters recognised by the Uk university when they were taking me upon). I can have a reference where my research duties are outlined. I do not consider myself a student because I was rather carrying out project oriented tasks than attending seminars etc.. But will it work for claiming work experience :(. So I want to claim at least 30 points for that. What I see as relevant is that I am applying for a post of a Research officer where my research skills that i currently use for my phd project are needed, and I want to attach the invitation for this post's interview to my hsmp application...

but, as was pointed out to me previously, my earnings are too small.. so no way I could claim points for that, and that makes me dubious whether I should apply at all.. But I still could have at least 65 with masters and 4 years full time research experience

please help anyone. Your thoughts on the situation would be helpful

postgrad
Newly Registered

Post by postgrad » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:22 am

anyone?
please help

hk_007

Post by hk_007 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:26 am

What is/was your designation while you are doing your Ph.D. For eg. if your appointment letter mentions it as xxxx Fellow then you claim points on that basis and don’t bring Ph.D. into the picture at all. Thus, you will have points for Master’s degree plus 3-4 working experience in research (detailed in the reference letter) gained as xxxx Fellow.

homeboy
Newly Registered

Post by homeboy » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:58 pm

I agree with hk_007 just go on with your application using the Masters degree qualification and detail down all the duties and research work you do as part of your PhD studies. You might come out by saying that you are a research assistant and the the type of work you do requires at least a graduate level experience.
Guess what you can squeak out even with the minimum 65 points. Don't claim for the points you know that you can't get. It pays to be good and smart everytime.

All the best postgrad

postgrad
Newly Registered

Post by postgrad » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:35 pm

thank you so much, guys!!