ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

marraige benefits

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blueman
Newly Registered

marraige benefits

Post by blueman » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:00 am

hi i am an indian and my gilfriend is from austria..i want to know if we marry what kind of visa do i get for eu and can i work in eu and for how long..also do i need any financial support for me to show to the visa ppl ?
please give me good feedback thank u :)

gani999

Re: marraige benefits

Post by gani999 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:40 am

blueman wrote:hi i am an indian and my gilfriend is from austria..i want to know if we marry what kind of visa do i get for eu and can i work in eu and for how long..also do i need any financial support for me to show to the visa ppl ?
please give me good feedback thank u :)
If you get married to your girlfriend, you can move to the EU on a partner reunion visa. You will also be allowed to work.

You don't have to show any financial support for this, however, your girlfriend, who will be sponsoring you for a partner reunion visa should be able to show a minimal income of something like Euro 1100 after taxes per month.

If however, she herself is a dependent (on her parents or some other source) or is unemployed and in receipt of public unemployment money, she will not be allowed to sponsor you.

hope this helps.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:04 am

Blueman, you do not actually say in which country you intend to live in after marriage. Which is that? Austria, or another country?

If Austria you will need to check the Austrian laws. If any other EEA country then once the two of you are married you will be entitled to an EEA Family Permit.

For example, if the two of you intend to live and work in the UK then you would apply for a UK-issued EEA Family Permit. That would confirm that as a third-country national you possess the same community rights, at least as regards the UK, as your Austrian wife. That is, the right to live and work.

EEA Family Permits are issued for free.

Note that if you are currently in the UK and hoping to marry in the UK you may now have problems during the required Notice of Intention to Marry, given the recently-introduced anti-sham marriage legislation.
John

blueman
Newly Registered

Post by blueman » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:20 pm

thank you for the reply i intend to marry in india and live in italy to study..do u think that helps me in study..also i donot have to show money for living in italy?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:45 pm

My understand is this.

Let's just consider your Austrian wife (as she will be) for a moment. Under community law she has the right to live and work in Italy, or any other EEA country. She also has a right to, for example, study in Italy or any other EEA country ... as long as she has sufficient funds to support herself!

As a third-country national and family member of an EEA citizen you will have the same rights as your wife. You just need an EEA Family Permit in your passport to prove it.

So, your wife, will she be working in Italy? Or better still, is she already working in Italy? If so, my understanding is that you should not need to be concerned about financial matters. However if your wife is a student then you would be.

If anyone thinks this is not quite right then please do post.

I have looked up the website of the Italian Embassy in London and it is totally silent on the subject of EEA Family Permits. So I looked up the website of the British Embassy in Rome ... to see what would happen in reverse? What I have typed above is my understanding of what it says. Why should the reverse apply? Because we are talking about community rights here. The same community law applies to an Austrian in Italy, an Italian in the UK, a Norwegian in Spain etc etc etc.
John

journey

Post by journey » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:41 pm

Useful website on EU citizen & his/her family member's rights:

http://europa.eu.int/youreurope/nav/en/ ... /home.html