ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Current processing time updated to 23 months

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Current processing time updated to 23 months

Post by OneWorld2122 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:10 pm

I'm looking at the official website of Irish immigration and found current processing time is increased to 23 months
Currently it takes 23 months approximately for a straightforward application to be processed from the date it is received to the date a decision is made.
which is a shock to me.

A) Is it a new change and applies to application submitted in end of 2020 also? Does it mean, cannot go for judicial review before 2 years of application submit or it's still possible after 1/ 1.5 years of 2020 submitted application ?

luxurylemon
Ireland

Re: Current processing time updated to 23 months

Post by luxurylemon » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:18 am

I thought the minister had said the goal was for 9 months for most applications in 2022? I thought that was very unrealistic anyway but giving a time frame of 6-9 months for 2022 which is really not that far away, and now saying the processing time is 23 months seems absolutely redicilous.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 07-08/130/

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:44 am

Thanks for sharing the link, I hope they 'mean' what they say and their words matters, I'm disheartened :cry: .... to read that they are saying 23 months on website and can't understand how come ministers says in Oireachtas 9 months where as around same time on website updates the processing time to 23 months!!, Within 1 year processing time is increased from 6 months to 23 months.
luxurylemon wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:18 am
I thought the minister had said the goal was for 9 months for most applications in 2022? I thought that was very unrealistic anyway but giving a time frame of 6-9 months for 2022 which is really not that far away, and now saying the processing time is 23 months seems absolutely redicilous.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 07-08/130/

mads32
Ireland

Post by mads32 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:42 pm

That's really devastating to read but in fairness seems to be today's average time from seeing people's timelines here (I mean, even the passport returns are now taking 4 months). Before I think it was 6 months and I don't think many people got everything sorted in 6 months after the events of 2019.

Hopefully things will speed up next year as promised. But yeah, it is quite a bummer, specially because people used to have their citizenship sorted much quickly.

cleire8
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cleire8 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:04 pm

All covid did was highlight how woeful and outdated the processes are under the current system. Applications were never going to slow down, literally as time was going on people were able to acquire more reckonable residency so applications only going to increase and make the backlog worse. More akin to an application tsunami.

If they had had a transparent, understandable system for the customer they might be shown a bit more patience. Even monthly figures of data showing how many application moved through the stages, attain approval etc. But every response is "We cannot update you at the moment, please don't contact us for general queries" just makes people more anxty and frustrated as time goes on. Then that just leads to a mass of communications via letters, emails, phone calls, FOI etc because people can't get an adequate update in the first place and removes resources away from the staff but hey, they don't give us the information in the first place. Its a vicious circle.

One on the one hand the department, along with the rest of the civil service, were never going to be able to plan for a mass "WFH" scenario and there was always going to be a slowdown as they just can't take certain documentation out of premises. But the system is so outdated they can't even give application updates / communications via MyGovId website (same way the Revenue do). If they alleviated these small inefficiency it would help make some processes a bit smoother and easy for both applicant and department. People just want to know where they stand on one of the biggest decisions of their life. It's not like we are ordering a takeaway here. It's one of the most opaque bureaucratic processes I've ever been through

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:38 pm

Cliere8, very well drafted, there is no transparency, no proper response on the status just copy paste reply.

I hope minister will make adequate steps to make things streamline and take a note on why processing time on website is 23 months when promised to be 9 months. Understood people are already waiting from over an year on their application but that is something which is not ok.

Shakey

Post by Shakey » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:04 am

cleire8 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:04 pm
All covid did was highlight how woeful and outdated the processes are under the current system. Applications were never going to slow down, literally as time was going on people were able to acquire more reckonable residency so applications only going to increase and make the backlog worse. More akin to an application tsunami.

If they had had a transparent, understandable system for the customer they might be shown a bit more patience. Even monthly figures of data showing how many application moved through the stages, attain approval etc. But every response is "We cannot update you at the moment, please don't contact us for general queries" just makes people more anxty and frustrated as time goes on. Then that just leads to a mass of communications via letters, emails, phone calls, FOI etc because people can't get an adequate update in the first place and removes resources away from the staff but hey, they don't give us the information in the first place. Its a vicious circle.

One on the one hand the department, along with the rest of the civil service, were never going to be able to plan for a mass "WFH" scenario and there was always going to be a slowdown as they just can't take certain documentation out of premises. But the system is so outdated they can't even give application updates / communications via MyGovId website (same way the Revenue do). If they alleviated these small inefficiency it would help make some processes a bit smoother and easy for both applicant and department. People just want to know where they stand on one of the biggest decisions of their life. It's not like we are ordering a takeaway here. It's one of the most opaque bureaucratic processes I've ever been through
Unfortunate you didn't apply under Irish Associations as we previously discussed.

Whilst my application took 19 months to process because I applied early under Irish Associations at the four year mark my application only took seven months to process after the fifth year of residency kicked in.

RCCar
Belarus

Post by RCCar » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:48 am

How I read 23 months:
It was 12 months before the update, they looked at it and noticed it is incorrect as now for current applications it takes an average of 23 months. So from this point - pandemic ending (+500 hours weekly), reduce post-Brexit spike, no big spike with 1year-before-applications, the 23 months can be ONLY IMPROVED, not worse. So with their estimation of about 6-9 months next year, I'd say my application from July 2021 will take approximately 15 months to process. You can see now 2020 applicants get it quicker than 2019.