ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

International Driving License from non-eu - what to do for d

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cnu

International Driving License from non-eu - what to do for d

Post by cnu » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:14 pm

Greetings!

My friend recently arrived here, he wants to drive with his international-driving license from a non-eu country, is this possible? Does anyone have links to this.

He doesn't need full driving license as he is not going to stay here forever .

Thanks in advance

bloody foreigner

Post by bloody foreigner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:51 pm

cnu

Post by cnu » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Great Stuff, thanks a million bf [Dint' wanna call you by your handle :D ]

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:49 pm

Does anyone know that if you take up "residency" here whether you have to have your full Irish drivers license within the year (if you wish to drive alone), or you are expected to have started the procedure, in that if you've got an irish learners license you can still drive unaccompanied etc, until you complete the full license test.
I'm going through the procedure now (have a learners license along with a full New Zealand license). I would have taken up residency (on a green card) in late december last year. Unfortunately New Zealand isn't recognised because at full license testing they don't differentiate between manual and automatic transmissions.

bloody foreigner

Post by bloody foreigner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi esharknz,
If you've been here for more than a year, under any immigration status, even tourist, you are no longer legally allowed to drive on a NZ licence in Ireland.
Since it is "not recognised" you would be "unlicenced" (in their eyes) after 1 year. So conditions of the irish licence would apply.

The average Garda doesn't know that, but you can bet that the insurance companies will use it to avoid paying a claim.

All of this assumes a certian logic, but as we know, logic can vary from one country to another. :wink:

You say you "would have" taken up residency last year, does that mean that you didn't for some reason, or is this just the local use of the conditional "would have" instead of "did"?

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:07 pm

bloody foreigner wrote:Hi esharknz,
If you've been here for more than a year, under any immigration status, even tourist, you are no longer legally allowed to drive on a NZ licence in Ireland.
Since it is "not recognised" you would be "unlicenced" (in their eyes) after 1 year. So conditions of the irish licence would apply.

The average Garda doesn't know that, but you can bet that the insurance companies will use it to avoid paying a claim.

All of this assumes a certian logic, but as we know, logic can vary from one country to another. :wink:

You say you "would have" taken up residency last year, does that mean that you didn't for some reason, or is this just the local use of the conditional "would have" instead of "did"?
I had been in Ireland up until Sept 07 on a working holiday visa which is a temporary stay, and thus had not become 'resident'. I left and reentered Ireland after my green card had been approved, hence becoming 'resident'.
I find your correction of my words offensive too, by the way.

bloody foreigner

Post by bloody foreigner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:04 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to correct or offend, just to clarify. I see that you did in fact become resident.

However, the licence situation has nothing to do with immigration status.
You can use the NZ one for 1 year and that's all. Of course, since you left and came back, maybe the year starts again. I wouldn't like to argue that in court though.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:40 am

bloody foreigner wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to correct or offend, just to clarify. I see that you did in fact become resident.

However, the licence situation has nothing to do with immigration status.
You can use the NZ one for 1 year and that's all. Of course, since you left and came back, maybe the year starts again. I wouldn't like to argue that in court though.
I think the way they classified people as resident or not is according to the tax year. if a person stayed in ireland legally 6 monhts or more within the tax year. that person will be classified as resident of the country and it doesnt matter how many times the person leave and enter the country.

bloody foreigner

Post by bloody foreigner » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:50 am

mktsoi,
For tax purposes you are correct.
Drivers licences have nothing to do with tax.
You can use your own country's licence for 12 months from the date of arrival.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:54 pm

esharknz,

The UK exchanges NZ driving licences to UK ones. Ireland exchanges UK licences for Irish ones. Just stating facts. 8)

(think about it..) :lol:
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.