ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for retention of South African citizenship from within South Africa

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

terciajvv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Application for retention of South African citizenship from within South Africa

Post by terciajvv » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:12 am

I want to apply for retention of my South African citizenship before applying for UK citizenship.

I see the process for doing this through the South African High Commission in London requires Form NQ Confirmation of non-acquisition of British citizenship (£250).

Does anyone have any information on how to do the retention of citizenship application from within South Africa? We are going to be travelling soon to South Africa, but I can't find guidance on the process and documents required. I have heard that it is much cheaper and simpler but cannot find any clear information.

WyrmKin
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Application for retention of South African citizenship from within South Africa

Post by WyrmKin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:24 pm

You will have to go into a home affairs department that deals with citizenship retention, not all of them do. I went into the Cape Town branch in the City Centre.

You will need to have a Dual Nationality letter from the British High commision.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... nality.pdf

They might not accept a copy and will request one with original stamps, so you may have to make an appointment to collect a letter in person.

You will need passport-sized photographs.
You will need South African Identification documents.

You go in, fill out some forms, submit them with your Dual Nationality letter and photographs, pay R300 (that was the cost at the time I did mine), and then wait a while.

I applied for mine on the 24th of June 2021 and collected it on the 20th of July 2021. The person in front of me made a personal request for it to be faster because his ceremony was the following week and they said they would make it happen, so you might have similar luck getting it completed faster if you request it.

WyrmKin
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Application for retention of South African citizenship from within South Africa

Post by WyrmKin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:11 pm

WyrmKin wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:24 pm

You will need passport-sized photographs.
Just correcting myself on this. I didn't need photographs, I needed a copy of my ID. Misremembered as I got photographs done at the same time as the copies.

terciajvv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by terciajvv » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:17 pm

Thank you so much, this is super helpful!!