ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Understanding the visitor visa vignette

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

exman
India

Understanding the visitor visa vignette

Post by exman » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:13 am

My mother recently applied for a 2 years visitor visa and was granted. The visa vignette mentions 2 yrs validity based on valid from date and valid to date. However, the observation section says "Duration 180 days".
I would think that this means that she can stay in the UK for a total of 180 days during the 2 yrs visa validity period. Is this understanding correct?
If yes, I am highly disappointed. I paid four times the price and yet, she is technically able to just visit for 6 months.

vinny

Re: Understanding the visitor visa vignette

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:58 pm

Max 180 days per visit, within the validity of the visa. However, if she spends too long per visit, etc., then they refuse a subsequent entry for failing the Genuine Visitor requirement.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Kaley
United Kingdom

Post by Kaley » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:09 am

Hi Vinny,

I could not find 180 days rule per visit for visitor visa in immigration rules. Can you please guide to me to right page/ document?

I got my mum visitor visa for 2 yrs, she is staying with me for almost 5 months. I need to confirm if I can keep her beyond 6 months.

Thanks.

Kaley

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:33 am

She has to depart before her 180 days are up.

Appendix V: Visitor
Standard Visitor: for those seeking to undertake the activities set out in Appendix Visitor: Permitted Activities, for example tourism and visiting family, usually for up to 6 months. A Standard Visitor may apply for a visit visa of six months, two, five or 10 years validity, however each stay in the UK must not exceed the permitted length of stay endorsed on the visit visa (usually six months).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Kaley
United Kingdom

Post by Kaley » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:18 pm

Thanks..

I guess she can be out of Country for week and re-enter again??

180 days is limited per visit not per year?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:22 pm

Kaley wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:18 pm
Thanks..

I guess she can be out of Country for week and re-enter again??

180 days per 12 months.

Bear in mind that border control is very aware of visitor visa holders trying to circumvent the rules by leaving for a week and then returning for another 6 months. This is seen as an attempt to reside and live in the UK under the guise of a visitor visa.

Her visitor visa could be cancelled and she could be denied entry trying to re-enter after a week away, they have the power to do this.

She should not be spending more time on the UK than she does in her home country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:59 pm

Kaley wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:18 pm
It is more nuanced than that.

It is a maximum of 180 days per visit, but she should also met the Genuine Visitor requirement of Appendix V of the Immigration Rules, including "not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home".

So she can't pop over to Calais for a day and come back.

The Immigration Officer at the sea/air port can see her history and cancel her visa on the spot if they determine that she is abusing the visa and not visiting, but residing in the UK. And that can be even if she stays a full 180 days in the UK every year.

A visit visa is meant for regular visits to the UK from a home in another country, not for residing in the UK for long periods of time.

Once the visa has been cancelled, it will be practically impossible to get another visit visa to the UK again.

Also, keep in mind that the NHS will charge your mother (and you) 150% of the cost of any NHS care that she needs. So be sure to get appropriate travel (which normally does not cover more than a 30 day stay in another country) and health insurance.

In simple terms, your parent can't move in to live with you in the UK based on a visit visa, whatever the duration may be.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:07 am

Kaley wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:09 am
Hi Vinny,

I could not find 180 days rule per visit for visitor visa in immigration rules. Can you please guide to me to right page/ document?

I got my mum visitor visa for 2 yrs, she is staying with me for almost 5 months. I need to confirm if I can keep her beyond 6 months.

Thanks.

Kaley
No you can not else she breaks the rule her visa is based on.
Despite having 2 years, should not exceed 180 days at a stretch of visit.

Enough responses provided by the MODs