ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration of Children as British Citizens

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dapperpapi
Newly Registered
Philippines

Registration of Children as British Citizens

Post by dapperpapi » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:38 pm

I was going through the Guidance Notes of the MN1 form July 2019 version and I read this:

Registration at the Home Secretary’s discretion – Section
3(1) application
Children born abroad to parents who are applying for British
citizenship
Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for
one or more children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic
acquisition of British citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of
a “family application”. Children in this category will be considered at the Home
Secretary’s discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are
granted or already hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship
and the other is settled in the UK.

Does this mean that when the time comes that my wife is eligible to apply for ILR and provided that it has been granted, my minor children on Family Visa can be registered as British Citizens? I have the impression that they don't have to obtain the Indefinite Leave to Remain status anymore and can be registered as British Citizens since I am the British Citizen and my wife would be considered by then as settled.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Registration of Children as British Citizens

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:40 pm

Children born abroad need ilr first. Nothing has changed regarding this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dapperpapi
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by dapperpapi » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:43 pm

Okay much appreciated, I thought we could skip an expensive part of the British Registration.

dapperpapi
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by dapperpapi » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:42 pm

I have a follow up question. I read on one of the guidance notes that as soon as my wife is granted an Indefinite Leave to Remain, she could apply for Naturalisation on the same day and no longer have to wait for the 1 year residence period for people who are not married to British Citizens.

Can my children, who would also be on ILR status, be registered as British by virtue of my wife's Naturalisation even if they have not met the 1 year residency period after obtaining the ILR status?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:49 pm

Your children born abroad can apply for registration alongside your wife's naturalisation, provided all of them have ILR and you are a British citizen on the date of application (and assuming your wife was physically present in the UK exactly three years before the date of application).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

dapperpapi
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by dapperpapi » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:06 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:49 pm
Your children born abroad can apply for registration alongside your wife's naturalisation, provided all of them have ILR and you are a British citizen on the date of application (and assuming your wife was physically present in the UK exactly three years before the date of application).
much appreciated secret.simon for the clarification. I wasn't sure if my children would have to meet the 1yr residency period, contrary to my wife who could immediately apply for Naturalisation even on the same day of getting her ILR.