ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation as a British citizen by discretion experience?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

scottng8888
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Naturalisation as a British citizen by discretion experience?

Post by scottng8888 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:42 am

Hi there,

I wonder if there's any experience from anyone on here that they have / haven't applied for British Citizenship by discretion?

I successfully applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain and I got the status in January 2021. I’m hoping to apply for citizenship in January next year after 12 months.

However, I've left the UK for more than 90 days since May this year because my father got a terminal illness and then passed away in June. And I’m actually still aboard in Hong Kong staying with my family especially with my mum for emotional support.

I’m planning to return to the UK in November that would mean my absence would be less than 179 days. I understand that I won't be able to meet the residence requirement of less than 90 days of absence in the final year before I apply the citizenship in a normal way. But I read the application guidance that discretion might be exercised by caseworker if I could demonstrate that I have established my home in the UK through a number of things if I spend more than 90 days outside the UK

I still have the intention to settle in the UK, but I'm not too sure what does home establishment in the UK mean specifically? And what kind of evidence I should provide to increase my chance of success of the application.

So any experience sharing of applying Naturalisation as a British citizen by discretion would be great!

Many thanks,
Scott

vinny

Re: Naturalisation as a British citizen by discretion experience?

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:14 am

vinny wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:30 am
Check the Guidance.
Alternatively, it may be easier to wait until you satisfy the final year’s absence requirement before applying?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.