ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual citizenship - usage of non-British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

krystianr
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Dual citizenship - usage of non-British passport

Post by krystianr » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:35 am

Hi,

I have been granted British citizenship (and got the ceremony on 9th). I'm going to apply for a password the same day.

However, can I travel abroad using my old passport (as I will have dual citizenship)? I've heard, that on the British border I can't use another passport if I'm British. I'm planning to visit Poland on 15th and I won't be able to obtain a British passport till then.

thanks

ItalianPilot
Newly Registered
Italy

Re: Dual citizenship - usage of non-British passport

Post by ItalianPilot » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:52 am

I am not 101% certain however I read something just this week, the only thing they expect is that if you are guaranteed nationality when you enter the UK to use your British Passport, which is kind of common sense and a legit expectation.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:22 pm

- Leaving the UK on any valid passport is ok (with visa if required by your destination).
- Returning to the UK with your EU passport may be ok as your previous settled status "may" still be flagged against your passport.
- Some travellers appear to have just used the eGates without being checked.
- Safest would be to also take your naturalisation certificate and present it with your passport to the UK border official on your return (note it's not a travel document and nobody else needs to see that). There may possibly a slight delay if they do checks. Note: a UK citizen can't be refused entry to the UK.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

George111
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by George111 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:36 pm

I think admins should make a sticky. With current passport delays, this seems to be asked very often.