ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for my step-son

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

astrogkg@yahoo.com
Newly Registered

Citizenship for my step-son

Post by astrogkg@yahoo.com » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:11 am

Hello all,

I have a very specific question for naturalization. Me and my family (wife+step-son) are currently permanent residents in the UK. As of this Novemeber we are eligible to apply for citizenship via naturalisation. In the application, we see that we can apply on the grounds of 5 years of residence in UK, me and my wife were both working so we can proove that we relevant tax documents (P60 etc.). My question concerns my step-son. He is now 18 years old, thus I can imagine, he must apply on his own, on the same basis (5 years residence in UK). He is already a permanent resident (status he aquired via me last year). The problem is that he is still going to school (now at university), so he cannot proove 5 years of work in UK. I just need to ask what type of documents does he need to send (school attendance records, university docs?????).

Thank you very much a priori.

Georgios

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:53 am

I think you are imagining a requirement that is not actually there! There is no specific requirement for an applicant for Naturalisation to have paid work. And indeed many such applicants do not. They might be say a housewife, bringing up small children, or like your son, rather busy studying.

In short, your son is able to apply for Naturalisation as long as he has had ILR/PR status for at least one year .... and as long as he has passed the Life in the UK Citizenship test!

As regards that test, if it is ILR that you and your wife have got then no doubt the two of you have already passed that test. However your son, then a child, would have been exempt from that requirement at that time. However he does need to pass the test in order to make his Naturalisation application.
John

astrogkg@yahoo.com
Newly Registered

Post by astrogkg@yahoo.com » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:04 am

Thank you very much, my step-son has already passed the test (2 weeks ago), so the only thing that he has to send with the naturalisation application is the Application Form AN + correct fee + Life In Uk test certificate + passport(showing ILR stamp issued more than a year ago).
Nothing else. Correct?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:30 pm

Nothing else. Correct?
I think that is correct. Of course the form AN needs to be completed accurately so that will say, for example, his NI number and tax office reference ...... or indeed for one or both of those items it might be relevant to enter "Not yet issued" or "Not known".

But one further comment. Given that you use the "send" word, which might imply sending through the post, recommend that instead you all use the NCS service .... as mentioned on this UKBA webpage.
John