ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American Citizen with Stamp 1G, working in UK

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Just_Checking
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

American Citizen with Stamp 1G, working in UK

Post by Just_Checking » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:35 pm

Hi all,

First post so please go easy :D

I work with a client that has posed a question as I work in recruitment and it has me stumped! They are looking to take someone on for a specific project (payrolled via PAYE at our UK based company), however this individual lives in Ireland with a Stamp G1 visa due to her partner being a critical worker.

They are American (unsure if this matters) and I was originally uncertain anything could be done given the Common Travel Area being designed for inter-travel and work between Irish/British citizens. However, since then I have read about the British-Irish visa scheme and the interchangeability of these visas so I am now unsure.

Fundamentally; it's an American citizen, living in Ireland with a Stamp 1G visa, looking to work for a UK based company, being payrolled by a UK based third party.

Is this possible? And if possible, what are the tax implications!

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Dave

meself2
Ireland

Re: American Citizen with Stamp 1G, working in UK

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:38 pm

Hey! Not an expert at all, but here is my two cents:
1G does allow this person to take almost whichever work they desire in Ireland, but that doesn't give you right of work in the UK.
British-Irish visa scheme is for Chinese/Indian tourists to go to both of these countries with one visa on certain condition, as far as I know.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Dub23
Ireland

Post by Dub23 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:43 pm

On a Stamp 1G they have to live in Ireland and be working for an Irish company and get paid by an Irish company.

What people on a Stamp 4 usually does is they set up their own company i.e. be self-employed and then do work with UK clients. Their Irish company is then paying them their salary.

Unfortunately on a Stamp 1G the person is not allowed to open/ run their own business, so the above solution won't work.

From the IrishImmigration.ie website:

Summary of employment conditions for spouses and de facto partners of CSEP holders and researchers on a Hosting Agreement permission:

- Permitted to work in the State without the requirement to obtain a work permit
- Permitted to undertake courses of study in the State
- Not permitted to establish or operate a business
- Not permitted to be self-employed

- Renewal of the Stamp 1G registration should be applied for annually, and after 5 years on a Stamp 1G, you may apply for a Stamp 4
- Periods spent on Stamp 1G are considered as reckonable residence for the purpose of making an application for Citizenship/Naturalisation.
Just_Checking wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:35 pm
Hi all,

First post so please go easy :D

I work with a client that has posed a question as I work in recruitment and it has me stumped! They are looking to take someone on for a specific project (payrolled via PAYE at our UK based company), however this individual lives in Ireland with a Stamp G1 visa due to her partner being a critical worker.

They are American (unsure if this matters) and I was originally uncertain anything could be done given the Common Travel Area being designed for inter-travel and work between Irish/British citizens. However, since then I have read about the British-Irish visa scheme and the interchangeability of these visas so I am now unsure.

Fundamentally; it's an American citizen, living in Ireland with a Stamp 1G visa, looking to work for a UK based company, being payrolled by a UK based third party.

Is this possible? And if possible, what are the tax implications!

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Dave

nisi
Ireland

Post by nisi » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:32 pm

It sounds like you might need to find an Irish agency to employ them, pay relevant Irish Tax and invoice you instead. That could be okay if they're going to work remotely?

All that, doesn't necessarily entitle them to enter the UK to work, that would be a whole other issue that you'd have to look for the relevant UK VISA for.

Just_Checking
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Just_Checking » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:23 am

That's all really useful advice so can I thank everyone for your guidance. I will update the client as we will be unable to help them, however I will mention the possible contacting of an Irish agency to see if they have a solution.

Hate to turn business away, but the law is the law!

Best Regards,
Dave