ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Ireland visitor visa query

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blackeyed

UK Ireland visitor visa query

Post by blackeyed » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:42 am

Hi All,

My father has got UK standard visitor visa for 5 years. I understand that maximum duration he can stay in UK is 6 months. I was wondering is it legal for him to visit UK for 6 months and then visit Ireland for next 3 months on UK visitor visa as Ireland does accept UK visa for Indian nationals.

secret.simon

Re: UK Ireland visitor visa query

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:16 pm

I think the way that the BIVS works is that the whole trip (to both the UK and Ireland) needs to be done within the lifetime of the one visa, issued by either the UK or Ireland. That is to say, Ireland will not issue him an additional visa under the scheme, but will allow him to travel within Ireland based on the validity of the UK visa.

You can of course apply for an additional visit visa for your father to travel to Ireland, but (a) that is neither automatic nor guarenteed and (b) not all Irish visit visas will allow him to travel to the UK (see link above).

Also, staying for so long away from their country of habitual residence may negatively impact any future British visit visa applications (as it shows that he does not have strong ties to his country of habitual residence).

EDIT: The page on BIVS on the Irish DFA website is much more informative and precise and concurs with my interpretation above.
The maximum stay in Ireland allowed to someone with an eligible UK visa is 90 days or the remaining period of validity of the person’s current leave to enter the United Kingdom, or, as the case may be, current leave to remain in the United Kingdom, whichever is the shorter.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.