ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PBS dependant visa extension - help needed with questions on the application

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kartheeknv
Newly Registered

PBS dependant visa extension - help needed with questions on the application

Post by kartheeknv » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:28 pm

Hello, i've been an active reader for the past ten years on this forum and helped me incredibly well when I was applying for different types of visas over the years. However, the time has come for me to post my first question(s), as I was unable to find the answers specific to the visa application my wife will be making very soon.

My wife is currently preparing to make an application to extend her PBS dependant visa. She obtained her visa on a Tier 2 (General) dependant partner route i.e. at the time of her first application (in sep 2017) I was on Tier 2 (General) visa and then she had an extension to this visa in Apr 2019, which was granted for 3 years. Since then, I became a naturalised british citizen and as per current UKVI guidelines, she could still continue to extend her visa as PBS dependant partner until she qualifies for ILR after 5 years.

Below are some questions that i would like to double check ...

1. By Apr 2022, she would have spent 4.5 years on PBS dependant visa and she would need one more extension to complete 5 years of stay in the UK to qualify for ILR. However, as per UKVI guidelines, her next dependant visa extension (if successful) will be for 3 years and IHS fees would be charged for 3 year period, irrespective of her qualification for ILR! IS THIS CORRECT?

2. Since the PBS dependant/Tier2 category route doesn't exist anymore, she needs to apply for her extension via Skilled worker dependant partner route https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... d-children)! IS THIS CORRECT?

3. Her visa expires on 28th Apr 2022 and if I understood correctly, she can apply for extension anytime before her current visa expires! For e.g. she can apply even in Jan/Feb 2022! IS THIS CORRECT?

4. Assuming skilled worker dependant partner route is correct, in the 'Eligibility section' of the application it asks below question related to the main sponsor i.e. about myself and my visa status
4a. What visa have they applied for?
I was on Tie2 (General) when my wife got her PBS dependant, but there is no option to select Tier2
The only relevant option seems to be 'Skilled worker', as all other options refers to global talent, ICT, student etc. I'm hoping skilled worker is the correct option, could you confirm?

5. In the 'People applying with you section', it asks for below questions related to the main sponsor i.e. about myself and my visa status
5a. Does xxxxx (main sponsor) already have their Skilled worker visa? YES/NO
5b. Do you have xxxxx (main sponsor) UAN? YES/NO
5c. Do you have an application reference number for xxxxx (main sponsor)? below are the options
- Yes, their Global Web Form (GWF) number
- Yes, their Biometric Residence Card (BRC) or Permit (BRP) number
- No, I don’t have any application reference number for them
What would the appropriate answers be for the questions from 5a to 5c, as I did not actually have a skilled worker visa before as my previous category was in Tier2 general. Or shall I assume those questions as tier2 questions and answer accordingly? In such case, i provide my Old BRP number as a reference for question 5c?

I really appreciate all your help!!

nightcrawler2u
India

Re: PBS dependant visa extension - help needed with questions on the application

Post by nightcrawler2u » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:32 am

nightcrawler2u wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:21 am
I have just gone through this process for my wife (I am on ILR and she on Tier 2 dependent) so I can answer some of these.
kartheeknv wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:28 pm
Hello, i've been an active reader for the past ten years on this forum and helped me incredibly well when I was applying for different types of visas over the years. However, the time has come for me to post my first question(s), as I was unable to find the answers specific to the visa application my wife will be making very soon.

My wife is currently preparing to make an application to extend her PBS dependant visa. She obtained her visa on a Tier 2 (General) dependant partner route i.e. at the time of her first application (in sep 2017) I was on Tier 2 (General) visa and then she had an extension to this visa in Apr 2019, which was granted for 3 years. Since then, I became a naturalised british citizen and as per current UKVI guidelines, she could still continue to extend her visa as PBS dependant partner until she qualifies for ILR after 5 years.

1. By Apr 2022, she would have spent 4.5 years on PBS dependant visa and she would need one more extension to complete 5 years of stay in the UK to qualify for ILR. However, as per UKVI guidelines, her next dependant visa extension (if successful) will be for 3 years and IHS fees would be charged for 3 year period, irrespective of her qualification for ILR! IS THIS Correct? Yes, correct. She will get 3 years extension and you pay IHS for 3 years.

2. Since the PBS dependant/Tier2 category route doesn't exist anymore, she needs to apply for her extension via Skilled worker dependant partner route https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... d-children)! IS THIS CORRECT? - Yes Tier 2 is now Skilled Worker route.

3. Her visa expires on 28th Apr 2022 and if I understood correctly, she can apply for extension anytime before her current visa expires! For e.g. she can apply even in Jan/Feb 2022! IS THIS CORRECT? - Correct Yes, we applied 3 months before expiry.

4. Assuming skilled worker dependant partner route is correct, in the 'Eligibility section' of the application it asks below question related to the main sponsor i.e. about myself and my visa status
I was on Tie2 (General) when my wife got her PBS dependant, but there is no option to select Tier2
The only relevant option seems to be 'Skilled worker', as all other options refers to global talent, ICT, student etc. I'm hoping skilled worker is the correct option, could you confirm? - Yes, You can select Skilled Worker (although I did have a Tier 2 option when I did it in Nov. If not Skilled worker is still right.

5. In the 'People applying with you section', it asks for below questions related to the main sponsor i.e. about myself and my visa status
5c. Do you have an application reference number for xxxxx (main sponsor)? below are the options
What would the appropriate answers be for the questions from 5a to 5c, as I did not actually have a skilled worker visa before as my previous category was in Tier2 general. Or shall I assume those questions as tier2 questions and answer accordingly? In such case, i provide my Old BRP number as a reference for question 5c?
Right after this, there is a question that says "Does the main applicant have ILR or Britich Citizenship"? for which we selected "YES" and entered the ILR BRP number for Home office BRP reference number. You could do that, or realistically, say "No I do not have application reference number". They have all your details and can easily check.

london2378
Newly Registered
Canada

Re: PBS dependant visa extension - help needed with questions on the application

Post by london2378 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:38 am

kartheeknv wrote:

1. By Apr 2022, she would have spent 4.5 years on PBS dependant visa and she would need one more extension to complete 5 years of stay in the UK to qualify for ILR. However, as per UKVI guidelines, her next dependant visa extension (if successful) will be for 3 years and IHS fees would be charged for 3 year period, irrespective of her qualification for ILR! IS THIS CORRECT?

2. Since the PBS dependant/Tier2 category route doesn't exist anymore, she needs to apply for her extension via Skilled worker dependant partner route https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... d-children)! IS THIS CORRECT?

3. Her visa expires on 28th Apr 2022 and if I understood correctly, she can apply for extension anytime before her current visa expires! For e.g. she can apply even in Jan/Feb 2022! IS THIS CORRECT?

The only relevant option seems to be 'Skilled worker', as all other options refers to global talent, ICT, student etc. I'm hoping skilled worker is the correct option, could you confirm?

Have you managed to successfully make your application? I am having some of the same questions as you- my wife already has her ILR and I'm trying to renew my skilled worker dependant visa which is expiring soon, but some of the questions on this form are giving me pause as they don't seem to take ILR of my wife into account. I don't see the question about whether the applicant has IRL that nightcrawler2u mentioned. The form also asks questions like what time period my partner's certificate of sponsorship covers, (under or over 3 years) which seems odd and the COS copy I have says it expired last year (right before we last renewed. It was for more than 3 years)- I don't know if I need to get another COS from the employer, I'm not sure if they even would have done another one since it was valid at the last renewal. Any ideas?
Thanks for any info!

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Post by ywlgy » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:24 pm

london2378 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:38 am

Have you managed to successfully make your application? I am having some of the same questions as you- my wife already has her ILR and I'm trying to renew my skilled worker dependant visa which is expiring soon, but some of the questions on this form are giving me pause as they don't seem to take ILR of my wife into account. I don't see the question about whether the applicant has IRL that nightcrawler2u mentioned. The form also asks questions like what time period my partner's certificate of sponsorship covers, (under or over 3 years) which seems odd and the COS copy I have says it expired last year (right before we last renewed. It was for more than 3 years)- I don't know if I need to get another COS from the employer, I'm not sure if they even would have done another one since it was valid at the last renewal. Any ideas?
Thanks for any info!
You don't need a new CoS! As I said in another post, the form is prepared for different circumstances. For those applications where the main applicant hasn't got the ILR, UKVI needs to know the info on CoS so they can determine the application fee and visa duration for the dependants.
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

london2378
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by london2378 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:23 pm

ywlgy wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:24 pm
london2378 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:38 am

Thanks for any info!
You don't need a new CoS! As I said in another post, the form is prepared for different circumstances. For those applications where the main applicant hasn't got the ILR, UKVI needs to know the info on CoS so they can determine the application fee and visa duration for the dependants.
Thanks so much for your help on this and on the other post. :)

javsaq2
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by javsaq2 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:56 pm

Hello!
I have a similar case where my wife has got British Citizenship on Tier 2 and I have PBS Limited Leave to Remain.
I am applying for PBS Visa Extension so kindly let me know which FORM should I use. Kindly share online link.
Thanks

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Post by ywlgy » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:10 pm

javsaq2 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:56 pm
Hello!
I have a similar case where my wife has got British Citizenship on Tier 2 and I have PBS Limited Leave to Remain.
I am applying for PBS Visa Extension so kindly let me know which FORM should I use. Kindly share online link.
Thanks
https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... d-children
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

javsaq2
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by javsaq2 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:17 pm

Thanks for the prompt response.
I am presently outside UK and will have to travel to UK to make PBS Dependent Visa Extension Application within UK. My question is Can a PBS Dependent Visa Extension (Main Applicant British National) can be lodged OUTSIDE UK?
Grateful

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Post by ywlgy » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:05 pm

javsaq2 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:17 pm
Thanks for the prompt response.
I am presently outside UK and will have to travel to UK to make PBS Dependent Visa Extension Application within UK. My question is Can a PBS Dependent Visa Extension (Main Applicant British National) can be lodged OUTSIDE UK?
Grateful
yes you can

javsaq2
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by javsaq2 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:27 pm

Oh Really! Thank you so much.
That takes off the stress to travel.
Apologies for asking for the appropriate online link to apply for PBS dependent Extension from outside UK (Main applicant British). Grateful indeed

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Post by ywlgy » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:22 pm

javsaq2 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:27 pm
Oh Really! Thank you so much.
That takes off the stress to travel.
Apologies for asking for the appropriate online link to apply for PBS dependent Extension from outside UK (Main applicant British). Grateful indeed
Read through the above link and you will find it

javsaq2
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by javsaq2 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:26 pm

Hi! Thank you for your guidance.

Based on your advice that I could apply to EXTEND my PBS DEPENDENT (Tier 2) visa OUTSIDE UK, I checked with the UKVI helpline. They were of the opinion that I CANNOT apply to EXTEND visa OUTSIDE UK. I have to be WITHIN UK to apply for EXTENSION. Initially UKVI people online were also confused but then they categorically said that I have to be IN UK.

Just to Recap that my spouse got UK Nationality based on Tier 2 visa.

Kindly advise if you have any alternative view.
Grateful

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Post by ywlgy » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:46 pm

javsaq2 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:26 pm
Hi! Thank you for your guidance.

Based on your advice that I could apply to EXTEND my PBS DEPENDENT (Tier 2) visa OUTSIDE UK, I checked with the UKVI helpline. They were of the opinion that I CANNOT apply to EXTEND visa OUTSIDE UK. I have to be WITHIN UK to apply for EXTENSION. Initially UKVI people online were also confused but then they categorically said that I have to be IN UK.

Just to Recap that my spouse got UK Nationality based on Tier 2 visa.

Kindly advise if you have any alternative view.
Grateful
The helpline is outsourced, not UKVI. I don't see anything in immigration rules preventing you to apply for it outside UK. Probably the right term to use is not "Extend leave", but just "apply for entry clearance".

I will let others to confirm. But if you want to be sure, apply within the UK.

javsaq2
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by javsaq2 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:26 pm

Thank you so much for your follow up. I would be looking forward to confirmation. You are right that there is nothing stopping applying for extension from outside UK as there are agents like VFS that can capture the biometrics and also new UKVI identity app can also confirm identity so extension application is quite possible. Looking forward to confirmation. Thanks

alisattar09
Pakistan

Post by alisattar09 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:22 am

kartheeknv wrote:

Hi, can you please confirm if you manage to submit the application and what did you answer for questions 5a - 5c in your above post which you mentioned please?
As it is not asking anything regarding Main Applicant being a IRL holder or British Citizen as it used to do previously. If that is the case what should be the correct answers for the section "People applying with you".

randomnoob
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by randomnoob » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:13 am

alisattar09 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:22 am
kartheeknv wrote:

Hi, can you please confirm if you manage to submit the application and what did you answer for questions 5a - 5c in your above post which you mentioned please?
As it is not asking anything regarding Main Applicant being a IRL holder or British Citizen as it used to do previously. If that is the case what should be the correct answers for the section "People applying with you".
Hi,

Did you find an answer to your question yet? I am going through the application form now and facing the same question as you are.