ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Format of referee signatures

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kamoe
European Union

Format of referee signatures

Post by kamoe » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:28 pm

I have a question regarding how to get the referees signatures: does the Home Office accept (any) digital signatures, like the ones produced via DocuSign and similar digital signature services (symbolic digital handwriting / digital image of actual signature / digital signature directly scribbled on pdf)? Or does it necessarily have to be a signature manually written on a printed form, then scanned? Anyone's first hand experience of success is appreciated.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

prs
BANNED
United Kingdom

Re: Format of referee signatures

Post by prs » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:30 pm

it clearly states that you have to print off the forms, attach your Photo on them, take them to your refs and get them to sign the forms(s).

So that means, the signatures should be done manually.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 pm

prs wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:30 pm
it clearly states that you have to print off the forms, attach your Photo on them, take them to your refs and get them to sign the forms(s).
Thanks.

Can you point to where this is spelled out? On the Documents checklist it only lists "Two referee declarations for [applicant's name]", and on the referee form itself it only says "This part of the form is to be filled in by the applicant’s referees once their photograph has been attached, as explained above." No mention of how to sign.

Also, unfortunately, the online form "clearly states" a number of things that are obviously legacy from previous printed forms:
  • it says that passports should be provided in original form -> which is no longer the case
  • it says that EU nationals should have a permanent residence card (and even has the link to apply) -> which is now impossible
  • it says that you should write your name on the back of the photo for the referee form -> which is pointless if scanned
And so on and so forth.
So that means, the signatures should be done manually.
I'm afraid the examples above tell me otherwise. But do please point me where this is unequivocally specified.

Obviously, printing, signing, and scanning is the foolproof method that I'll have to do unless there is evidence that a digital signature works. But from the form itself it isn't 100% clear that this is the only accepted method. First-hand experience is the wonderful advantage of these boards, hence why I ask :)
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

britalian89
United Kingdom

Post by britalian89 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:02 pm

Forms need to be printed, signed manually and scanned. HO will check referee signatures against their records and a digital signature just won't cut it.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 pm

britalian89 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:02 pm
HO will check referee signatures against their records and a digital signature just won't cut it.
Thanks.

Here's the thing. There are three types of digital signature proposed by the various signatures services (DocuSign, etc.):

1. Symbolic handwriting, which consists of typing your name in a selected computer font that looks like it's been handwritten. It makes sense this one won't cut it since it is not a true visual representation of someone's signature.

2. Signature image file, which consists of attaching an image file containing the signature, to the pdf declaration file. It is a true visual representation of the signature, since it is a real signature and it is scanned.

3. Direct digital scribble, which consists on directly and digitally writing (with a digital pen or mouse) one's signature onto the pdf file. It is also a true visual representation of the signature, since it is a real signature (albeit maybe less accurate since not using a pen).

Your argument only really disqualifies option 1. Question is if options 2 and 3 would be acceptable.

britalian89
United Kingdom

Post by britalian89 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:36 pm

If you really need digital signage, I'd send them an email or phone them before applying to have confirmation you can do so as right now there's nothing saying that digital signatures for citizenship applications are accepted. If you don't get a reply, I wouldn't risk it. The risk being your referee form being rejected.

I don't think there's much around this topic on their guidance or web pages and it's probably an aspect they haven't thought about much.