ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Renewal during pending citizenship application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Harshad93
Newly Registered
India

Passport Renewal during pending citizenship application

Post by Harshad93 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:14 pm

I had recently applied for citizenship and my passport will expire before they review my application based on processing times.

So, I had emailed citizenship desk with below questions -

In case of delays in processing, is it acceptable to renew the passport
before expiry date?

Will I have to submit a new citizenship application? or I can just share
the new passport number with you at the time in future?

Below is the response I got from them -

Please note we base your application on the passport that was in date at
the time you submitted your application.

What are they conveying?

Nala2021
Greece

Re: Passport Renewal during pending citizenship application

Post by Nala2021 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:07 pm

Harshad93 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:14 pm
I had recently applied for citizenship and my passport will expire before they review my application based on processing times.

before expiry date?

What are they conveying?
You application is based on the passports you held for the years you are claiming for (for your residency in the Republic of Ireland), and also for the one that you used to apply with in your application.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:48 pm

You provide what was valid at the time of your application. I assume if they would need your new passport at a later stage, they'll ask for it.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:08 pm

Previously, if you got a new passport after you submit your citizenship application, you would need to submit a copy of your new passport's ID page.

This is a bit more complicated now since they are asking for every single page to be certified. Just email them back and ask them if they want a copy of the new passport and whether it needs to be certified.

amolbawate
Ireland

Post by amolbawate » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:39 am

Hi Folks,

What about IRP if its going expire during citizenship process ?

I applied for Irish citizenship in Aug 2020 and my Stamp 4 permission was renewed in July 2020 so the IRP was from July 2020 to July 2022.

In case if the citizenship is not approved till July 2022, do I have to renew my Stamp 4 or can I ask for extension ?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:49 am

Don't think your application for citizenship itself gives you grounds to prolong your stamp. You'd probably need to go for renewal by your usual route.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Harshad93
Newly Registered
India

Post by Harshad93 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:43 am

littlerr wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:08 pm
Previously, if you got a new passport after you submit your citizenship application, you would need to submit a copy of your new passport's ID page.

This is a bit more complicated now since they are asking for every single page to be certified. Just email them back and ask them if they want a copy of the new passport and whether it needs to be certified.
Yeah, I have emailed them back. Hopefully, will get a response after a month :)

Harshad93
Newly Registered
India

Post by Harshad93 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:44 am

Nala2021 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:07 pm
Harshad93 wrote:

before expiry date?

What are they conveying?
You application is based on the passports you held for the years you are claiming for (for your residency in the Republic of Ireland), and also for the one that you used to apply with in your application.
So, renewing the passport doesn't necessarily invalidate my application. I can proceed with renewal?

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:17 am

ISD gets 10000 applications every year and with a processing time of 23 months there will be a certain number of passports expiring or renewed every year - its not possible those all applications will be rejected.

It doesn't matter if your passport number change, your identity, and nationality will still be the same. After getting a new passport email the department with a copy of the new passport and if you require an IRP card then you are legally required to inform the GNIB office.
Harshad93 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:44 am
Nala2021 wrote:
Harshad93 wrote:

before expiry date?

What are they conveying?
So, renewing the passport doesn't necessarily invalidate my application. I can proceed with renewal?

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:22 am

Harshad93 wrote:
Nala2021 wrote:
Harshad93 wrote:

before expiry date?

What are they conveying?
You have to think about it reasonably in order for this to make sense. INIS cannot expect you to be without valid travelling and identity documentation for the length that it takes for your application to be processed. You have every right to have up to date and valid documentation.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:06 pm

Don’t underestimate INIS :D They were asking non-EU people to send their passport by post EVERY YEAR to get entry visa to Ireland FOR residence permit holders. So even thou you had valid residency, you couldn’t enter to Ireland without the visa. Which costs another 100 euro of course :lol:

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:25 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:06 pm
Don’t underestimate INIS :D They were asking non-EU people to send their passport by post EVERY YEAR to get entry visa to Ireland FOR residence permit holders. So even thou you had valid residency, you couldn’t enter to Ireland without the visa. Which costs another 100 euro of course :lol:
I don't understand this - and even if it is true, doesn't the person above still need a valid passport to travel? What the person then does with it, it's his or her own choice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:52 pm

Nala2021 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:25 pm
mentalmind wrote:
I don't understand this - and even if it is true, doesn't the person above still need a valid passport to travel? What the person then does with it, it's his or her own choice.
Are you about needing to have a visa to travel before they removed all this?
Yeah, a few years ago you had to get a multi entry visa from INIS if you wanted to leave the country and come back despite having IRP (it wasn't a valid document for this I guess), so it was another 15 days or so to send your passport in after getting IRP and back? And fees, of course.
We're kinda taking for granted now we just need an IRP to go in an out. Good change, definitely.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:58 pm

Nala2021 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:25 pm
mentalmind wrote:
Sorry Nala, I meant you are 100% right and what you say makes sense, but on the other hand INIS takes some decision that doesn't make sense, and I just gave an example to it.

Back to topic, I will have to renew my passport next year also and would like to know if I need to send them copy of my new passport with all pages signed by solicitor or not. Waiting for the news OP!

Harshad93
Newly Registered
India

Post by Harshad93 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:03 pm

Nala2021 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:22 am
Harshad93 wrote:
Nala2021 wrote:
Harshad93 wrote:

before expiry date?

What are they conveying?
You have to think about it reasonably in order for this to make sense. INIS cannot expect you to be without valid travelling and identity documentation for the length that it takes for your application to be processed. You have every right to have up to date and valid documentation.
Agree with you. Based on past experiences, government organizations sometimes have processes that defy reasoning. Hence, I was looking for absolute clarity.

Harshad93
Newly Registered
India

Post by Harshad93 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:46 am

littlerr wrote:

Thank you for your email.
Please note we may need a copy of your updated passport if it associate
with your declaration of fidelity at a later stage in your application -if
your solicitor uses it for verification purposes.

Regards

Citizenship Helpdesk
Team 4

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:10 pm

Do you know what is meant by

“ -if
your solicitor uses it for verification purposes”?

Harshad93 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:46 am
littlerr wrote:

Thank you for your email.
Please note we may need a copy of your updated passport if it associate
with your declaration of fidelity at a later stage in your application -if
your solicitor uses it for verification purposes.

Regards

Citizenship Helpdesk
Team 4

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:17 pm

It means:

When you fill declaration form (latest stage of citizenship application), solicitor, commissioner of oath etc. needs to declare your identity using your passport details when you sign the form, to verify that it's actually you signing the form. They write down your passport details, expire date, issue date on the passport, to the form.

If you use your new passport for declaration (so solicitor, commissioner etc will have to write down your new passport details), you have to send copy of your new passport to ISD. (each page stamped etc.)

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:16 pm

Thank you, it makes sense now.

I think it's clear copy of the new passport needs to be sent to the department but not clear if its needs to be certified and all pages or am I missing something?
mentalmind wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:17 pm
It means:

When you fill declaration form (latest stage of citizenship application), solicitor, commissioner of oath etc. needs to declare your identity using your passport details when you sign the form, to verify that it's actually you signing the form. They write down your passport details, expire date, issue date on the passport, to the form.

If you use your new passport for declaration (so solicitor, commissioner etc will have to write down your new passport details), you have to send copy of your new passport to ISD. (each page stamped etc.)

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:18 pm

Check the last page of E-vetting topic: ireland/e-vetting-and-citizenship-appli ... 0-325.html

They are trying to figure out if ISD needs original of the passport or the copy, maybe someone will put clarification over there soon (hopefully)