ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost and then found EU Settlement BRC

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nomadtraveller29
Mood:
United Kingdom

Lost and then found EU Settlement BRC

Post by nomadtraveller29 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:12 pm

Good Afternoon All,

I recently lost my passport wallet which had my non-eu passport( old passports as well) along with my EU Settle Status BRC.I was advised to email BRCLost@homeoffice.gov.uk and inform them about this so HomeOffice could cancel it

After a week my passport and BRC was found but it was too late as i had already applied for new passport and had my BRC cancelled.

Do i have to return the BRC ?

Should I apply for new BRC ?

I am due to apply for citizenship in April 2022. The time it took to get my PRE Settle Status replaced took over 3 months. This make me nervous to apply for replacement BRC as I do not want to delay my Naturalisation Application.

Can I apply for citizenship just with my EU Settle Status Outcome email I received last year?

Sorry for so many questions as you can imagine the confusions and nervousness :?

Many Thanks

kamoe
European Union

Re: Lost and then found EU Settlement BRC

Post by kamoe » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:30 pm

nomadtraveller29 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:12 pm
Do i have to return the BRC ?
You could use the same email address and ask. I would not be surprised if they say you can destroy it yourself, instead of sending it back.
Should I apply for new BRC ?
You don't have to, but you might find it useful for traveling, and proving your right to rent and work in case your electronic status doesn't show up (as has been the case of many people), while you obtain your British citizenship.
I am due to apply for citizenship in April 2022. The time it took to get my PRE Settle Status replaced took over 3 months. This make me nervous to apply for replacement BRC as I do not want to delay my Naturalisation Application.
You could do nothing, apply for naturalisation and explain in the form that you lost your BRC (they will ask why you cannot provide it). This is acceptable. But... it might take up to a year to become British Citizen and obtain a passport, so without a BRC you would be pretty much out of a physical proof of right to live and work in the UK for a while.

Or you could apply for a replacement. It might not be issued before you apply for naturalisation, but you can always explain that in the form. You do not need a valid physical BRC to apply for naturalisation, you do not have to wait for the new one to be issued.
Can I apply for citizenship just with my EU Settle Status Outcome email I received last year?
It's not the outcome email but your digital status that counts. But yes, you can apply with your electronic status.
You'll be asked for your reference number (the 16 digit code of your settlement application, then one of the form XXX-XXX-XXX-XXXX)
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe
European Union

Re: Lost and then found EU Settlement BRC

Post by kamoe » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:21 pm

Now that I think about it, it might not make sense to destroy your BRC. On one hand it is invalid, but on the other hand, it is now your only physical proof of right to live and work. Not unwise to keep it for the time being.

A wise procedure in cases like this, and to cover all bases, would be to apply for a new BRC, and keeping the old one. The old BRC is now invalid, but it is still physical proof of your right to live and work, and it is only "invalid" if checked by a computer with access to the "verification powers that be". Anyone outside of the system and with the need of only a visual confirmation of your status (like airline staff) will never know the old BRC is invalid. So it is still better than nothing.

Once, and only once, the new BRC has been issued, the old BRC to be disposed of.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.