ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Remote working - entry denial?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

iRay
Newly Registered
Canada

Remote working - entry denial?

Post by iRay » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:06 pm

Hello there!

Tier 2 ICT

Due to COVID, office buildings were closed and we were all working remotely, so in Feb 2021, I traveled to Canada (not my home country where I was originally employed and transferred) to be with my family (my wife is a Canadian PR) and since then working from there remotely and being paid in my UK account. Now due to the relaxation from the government on remote working, office buildings are open and people have been requested to come back to work in person.

When I traveled in Feb 2021, I planned to return back by May, but due to the heavy restrictions on travel in both countries, I delayed my travel and then it was closer to my wife's delivery and then it was hard to leave my wife alone with the newborn without any support, so one lead to another and here I'm after an year still in Canada. I must admit my stupidity, when things got out of hand, I failed to re-assess my situation and take necessary steps.

Since I have been working from out of the country for about an year
- will I face any immigration issues at the border?
Questions I'm worried are
  • Why are you out of the country for this long?
  • Did you work during this period? And why did you work?
  • Did you inform HMRC about the situation?
- are there any legal issues working outside the country for this long period?

Reason I'm concerned is when we travel to our home country on vacation, on entry back to the UK, we mostly get asked by the border officer, how long have you been on vacation? At that point I cannot say I was on vacation since I was working remotely and being paid in the UK. And if I say I worked then it could be a problem as well.

I'm concerned that I might be denied entry into the country due to these reasons and could cause potential denial on any further visas.

Could anyone please advise how to proceed? Had anyone been in my situation and been able to enter the country without any issue?

Thank you!

iRay
Newly Registered
Canada

Re: Remote working - entry denial?

Post by iRay » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:02 pm

Any suggestions please anyone?