ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

civil partnership Visa and university fees

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

claudia97
Newly Registered
Mood:
Italy

civil partnership Visa and university fees

Post by claudia97 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:46 pm

Hi everyone,

My civil partner has the right to study live and work here thanks to the family permit Visa (civil partnership). I am european and I could not get him to come through the EU settlement. Hence, do you reckon he will be classified as international for fees purposes or EU people so pay the same price as the other EU settled or pre-settled people (hence reduced fees)? Because he is my civil partner through the immigration visa but he is the civil partner of a pre-settled EU person too.
Thank you so much!

meself2
Ireland

Re: civil partnership Visa and university fees

Post by meself2 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:03 pm

I'd say international, as they're nonEU by themselves. He is your civil partner which gives him the rights to live here, but, well, he is a nonEU national for fee assessment, that's it, as far as I know.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:12 pm

You are both mixing up three different things:
  • Status under the Settlement Scheme
  • Nationality
  • Home Vs International for fee purposes
They are not the same thing, nor are they determinant of each other.

Nationality on it's own does NOT give anyone, EU or not, the automatic right to be classified as Home student. You need to have resided in the UK for the last three years. So if you are a EU citizen that just arrived in the UK, even with pre settled status, you might be classified as International.

The opposite is also true, one's nationality does not in itself disqualify you from being classified as a Home student: If you are non-EU citizen, and the direct family member of a EU national AND satisfy the residence requirement, then you might be classified as Home.

Short answer is, if your partner just arrived in the UK, chances are they'll be classified as International. But the long answer has into account several parameters, and it depends on individual circumstances.

I invite you both to first read the official guideline here: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/information-- ... the-basics
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

not_Lara
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by not_Lara » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:36 pm

I was wondering about the “3 year” period and if there is any leeway around this? I want to apply to uni for 2023 entry (Sep 1st Start) but will be ordinarily resident in the UK for three years in October of the same year (so approximately 2 years and 11 months resident). Any advice or info would be very helpful

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:59 pm

not_Lara wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:36 pm
I was wondering about the “3 year” period and if there is any leeway around this? I want to apply to uni for 2023 entry (Sep 1st Start) but will be ordinarily resident in the UK for three years in October of the same year (so approximately 2 years and 11 months resident). Any advice or info would be very helpful
I notice from your previous posts that you got your EEA BRC as durable partner, not as civil partner. Is this still the case? Are you still an unmarried couple? I learned from painful experience that durable partners have ZERO chance of being considered Home students.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:14 pm

not_Lara wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:36 pm
I was wondering about the “3 year” period and if there is any leeway around this? I want to apply to uni for 2023 entry (Sep 1st Start) but will be ordinarily resident in the UK for three years in October of the same year (so approximately 2 years and 11 months resident).
Also, the 3 years is applicable to EU nationals, not non-EU national family members. You have to have Settled Status yourself to qualify.